Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Building a "Frankenstein" .36 1851 Pietta  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Maint1517

• View Profile
Building a "Frankenstein" .36 1851 Pietta
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:11:45 PM »
I'm building a Pietta 1851 .36 caliber. I've decided to call it Frankenstein because I'm building it entirely from parts. It's going to be a brass frame with "snake" grips and full length barrel.
I know this will be a 100% "fantasy" revolver. But I believe when I am done it will look pretty nice.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Building a "Frankenstein" .36 1851 Pietta
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »
You could remove the cylinder scene and have a Schneider & Glassick.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:16:49 AM »
Hi Maint, if you don't yet have the parts, you can get an 1851 kit here:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2967.0.html

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Maint1517

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 06:06:01 AM »
Thanks Richard. But I already have most of my parts. My frame is actually scheduled for delivery today. Then all I will need is the hammer,trigger, loading leaver and screw kit.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 06:16:11 AM »
If you were to buy Richard's '51 kit you would have all the parts you need plus some spares for trading or just for extras.   Maybe trade for an engraved barrel and frame and add some bling along with the "Man with No Name" grips.   (Just thinking here.)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
I'm building a Pietta 1851 .36 caliber. I've decided to call it Frankenstein because I'm building it entirely from parts. It's going to be a brass frame with "snake" grips and full length barrel.
I know this will be a 100% "fantasy" revolver. But I believe when I am done it will look pretty nice.

Building up a gun out of mixed parts and getting it set up and timed properly is a great educational experience. You have some very knowledgeable people on this forum to assist you if needed.

Offline Maint1517

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
If you were to buy Richard's '51 kit you would have all the parts you need plus some spares for trading or just for extras.   Maybe trade for an engraved barrel and frame and add some bling along with the "Man with No Name" grips.   (Just thinking here.)
I really wish I could. It would be a good start to my next project as well. But I just can't afford it. They just cut us back to 4 days a week at work right here at Christmas.
Believe me. I would love to own it. There's just no way I can.

Offline Maint1517

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »

Building up a gun out of mixed parts and getting it set up and timed properly is a great educational experience. You have some very knowledgeable people on this forum to assist you if needed.
when it comes to the assembly and timing, I'll probably be asking a lot of questions. I've done a couple of kit guns. A New Orleans Ace .44 single shot and a Snake Eyes .36 double barrel.
But this is my first revolver build.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
Some parts are not a drop in fit. They have to be fitted to your gun like bolts, hands and grips. Timing is affected by the hand length and when the bolt legs slips off the hammer cam. 45 dragoon can explain how all that works better than I can. I know what to do when I get in there but explaining it to anybody else is a skill I don't have.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
Hey Maint, Jim sent me the pics of what you have going on so far. It's looking really good! I can't wait to see the finished product.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln