Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Uberti Leech & Rigdon  (Read 13920 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Uberti Leech & Rigdon
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
Hi, I decided to buy a new Uberti 1851 cylinder and remove the engraving for my Leech and Rigdon. The cylinder will then be nitre blued trying to match the bluing darkness of the revolver barrel.

One nice thing about the 38 Colt/ 38 Special conversion cylinder is that there is no engraving, the cylinder is plain.

Getting a new revolver is like dropping money into sinkhole. LOL

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »

......Getting a new revolver is like dropping money into sinkhole. LOL

Regards,
Richard

No Truer words were ever spoken Richard!  (7+"
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
Hi, I just received a short book about the Leech & Rigdon revolver:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-ORIGINAL-CONFEDERATE-COLT-CIVIL-WAR-WEAPON-BRAND-NEW-MINT-CONDITON/303108671282?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

IMO this is a must have book for anyone interested in the Leech & Rigdon revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »
Richard,

I have that book, also. Paid $20 for it 3 years ago.

As you stated, it is a good but short read. All of the photos (except one set) are in the appendix.

Albaugh does have a considerable Confederate sympathizer slant to his writings.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
My Pietta Rigdon & Ansley with my Pietta G&G.

Regards,

Jim

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 03:58:15 AM »
Hi Jim, nice set of revolvers. I notice that your Leech & Ridgon has the plain cylinder with twelve bolt slots, nice. Too bad that Uberti doesn't take the L&R seriously.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
Hi, the Uberti 1851 cylinder for the new Leech & Ridgon just came in the door. The nipples were removed and the cylinder degreased in paint thinner and then acetone. A 3" 7/16-14 flat head bolt is being used for an arbor to file the engraving off the cylinder. I selected a flat head bolt because I wanted the cone to precisely center the cylinder on the bolt arbor. It turned out that bolt is a perfect slip fit in the cylinder arbor hole, even needed to file off a couple of high spots to have the bolt rigidly fit inside the cylinder. The engraving will be filed off using a minilathe. The cylinder is now soaking in vinegar to remove the original bluing. A couple of photos:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »
You go, Richard! &\?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »
Excellent solution. I'm tuned in to see how this all works out.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Richard.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
Richard,

I am very curious (and anxious) to see how that turns out.

As to your previous post, Pietta doesn't even produce a L&R. Mine is a Navy with G&G barrel and cylinder from VTI.

That's how easy it would be for Pietta, with off-the-shelf parts, to produce one.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 11:44:33 AM »
Hi, the Uberti 1851 cylinder for the new Leech & Ridgon just came in the door. The nipples were removed and the cylinder degreased in paint thinner and then acetone. A 3" 7/16-14 flat head bolt is being used for an arbor to file the engraving off the cylinder. I selected a flat head bolt because I wanted the cone to precisely center the cylinder on the bolt arbor. It turned out that bolt is a perfect slip fit in the cylinder arbor hole, even needed to file off a couple of high spots to have the bolt rigidly fit inside the cylinder. The engraving will be filed off using a minilathe. The cylinder is now soaking in vinegar to remove the original bluing. A couple of photos:

Regards,
Richard

Seems to me that anyone that doesn't have access to a lathe could use the same bolt setup and chuck it up in an electric drill and use emery cloth to remove the engraving.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »

Regards,
Richard

Seems to me that anyone that doesn't have access to a lathe could use the same bolt setup and chuck it up in an electric drill and use emery cloth to remove the engraving.
Yep. Or drill press and a file for really quick metal removal. Finish with sandpaper.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Since Uberti starts with a plain cylinder which is then rollmarked, I will be interested to see how much steel will have to be removed from the cylinder diameter and how much that affects the stop slot/approach depths.

Jim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »
The engraving isn't very deep. I seriously doubt you'll find any difference in lockup.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 04:18:15 AM »
Hi, the bluing removal of the Uberti 1851 cylinder was accomplished by soaking the cylinder in vinegar for 45 minutes, the first photo.

The cylinder was then mounted in my minilathe using the 7/16 bolt described before. Five minutes of file work and ten minutes of different sandpaper grits completed removing the engraving off the cylinder. The cylinder was then polished using Flits on a buffing wheel, the second photo.

Cylinder diameter measurements:

Bolt slots = Before filing 1.534", after filing sanding and polishing 1.5335"
Engraving = Before filing 1.535", after filing sanding and polishing 1.530

Very little metal was removed in the area of the bolt slots, 0.005" from the engraved area. IMO removing that little metal is of no significance.

This morning I will nitre blue the cylinder.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:41:06 AM by ssb73q »