Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .36 Caliber Smoothbore Boot Pistol  (Read 3332 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
.36 Caliber Smoothbore Boot Pistol
« on: January 29, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »
I bought this at a gun show in Anchorage around 1992 and paid $20 for it. I gave it to my son in AZ several years ago, he has never shot it, and is supposedly in the process mailing it back to me. I am trying to figure out who made this (obviously looks like a kit gun to me) and would like to make it look like a new kit gun project. I have never been able to find anything similar insofar as pictures online, and don't see any manufacturers offering anything close.

It is a percussion "boot" pistol, .36 caliber smoothbore with a spur trigger. No manufacturer markings, no date code, no proof marks. It is marked on the left side of the octagonal barrel ".36 CAL" (one die), and on the right upper barrel flat it is hand stamped "A.T. CO." using a different/larger font, which I think is a crude reference to Allen & Thurber. The frame and the barrel are of one piece and the hammer is in the middle of the frame.

I bought it to scare stray dogs from my garbage cans, loaded with 15 grains of Pyrodex P and a wad. It worked well for that, and the dogs stopped visiting. I never shot it with a lead ball, so I have no idea what the performance would be.

The hammer nose is not shrouded around the nipple so I used to use a glove on the right hand so as not to get cap fragments embedded in my hand/finger (I learned to do that after the first shot).

The picture was taken using his cell phone camera. I will send better when (and if) I receive it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: .36 Caliber Smoothbore Boot Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
Looks a lot like one of the assorted Hoppes pistol kits that were popular back in the 80's.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
Did a look online for any reference to Hoppe's pistol/pistol kits and found nothing.

Do you have a reference to or a pic of any of the Hoppe's gun kits?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
No, sorry. I remember them being on the shelf when I worked P/T at the gun store. They had a Snake Eyes derringer, a duckfoot, a boot gun and a few others. I believe Hoppes had bought out another line and briefly marketed them for a bit. I could be mistaken.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:58 PM »
I would love to know who the manufacturer was. On another forum a member thought it might be a "custom" gun, which I find hard to believe. It is not that well made, although it worked flawlessly.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 05:32:55 PM »
No, sorry. I remember them being on the shelf when I worked P/T at the gun store. They had a Snake Eyes derringer, a duckfoot, a boot gun and a few others. I believe Hoppes had bought out another line and briefly marketed them for a bit. I could be mistaken.

Classic Arms made those same guns as fully assembled guns and kits but they were better quality, not great quality mind you but better. I bought one of the fully assembled Twisters back in the late 70's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »
I also like boot / DERRINGER , pistils.toot.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 08:21:59 AM »
I beleave that CNC, made these kind of pistols at one time?

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:40:58 AM »
Who is CNC?

Jim

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:28:57 AM »
I don't know that is what the BOOT pistol, NEW ORLEANS ACE, AND SNAKE EYES, that DIXIE sells are made by . I don't know what CNC stands for ? look it up.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:54:43 AM »
The kits DGW sells are made by Classic Arms. They're better than the one posted. The only CNC I know of is a manufacturing process.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 06:01:12 AM »
Hawg, MEA CULPA! age kicking in.  I was a machinist for 30 yrs, and it, CNC. snuck in, I have run CNC machines. I meant CLASSIC ARMS.