Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 51 Navy Avenging Angel project  (Read 2738 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
51 Navy Avenging Angel project
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
This project has been rattling around in my head for a while. So when I came into possession of this pistol, I thought I might do something like this with it. I acquired it in a trade and never really took to it. It's not really a gun I would normally be interested in. So I first tried to trade it away for something else, but no one was interested. So I got out the saw and went to work.

Here's what I started with. A 1972 vintage Euroarms Navy Sheriff.

And here it is relieved of it's barrel.

I suppose I could have just cleaned it up and left it at that. But that wasn't my plan. I've seen many pictures of this type of pistol and I wanted to emulate them as best as I could. A little sculpting of the barrel was in order.

Here's how that turned out.

Lots of filing and sanding to get the contour like I wanted. It still needs final sanding and polishing and then I'll blue it.

My plan from the start included making the grip into a birdshead. That's what the brass in the first picture is for. But I decided to try a re-contour of the stock grip. I figured I was going to be cutting it up anyway, to make the birdshead, so I just wanted to try. It came out pretty good. I took about half the thickness of the grip off, as well as re-contored the butt. It's very comfortable in the hand. But I think I'm going to go ahead with my original plan and do a birdshead. I also have a couple good size pieces of elk antler that I may try and make grip panels from.

The grip in this picture is just roughly shaped. It still needs finished. I probably won't bother since I'm going a different route.

It's well on it's way though. Stay tuned for updates on progress.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: 51 Navy Avenging Angel project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:20:28 AM »
So far so good. I have made a bunch of 3 piece/1 piece grips. If you have any questions, be happy to let you know what works for me.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »
Thank you very much Kevin. I will surely take you up on that offer.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »
Hi Dave, you did a very nice job with that revolver. I look forward to your shooting report.

The closest thing I have to your revolver is the Pietta .44 Yank:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
Nice work in that gun! I don't know if you have seen this post on one I built a few years ago. Great fun to shoot! http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,246.msg882.html#msg882

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »
Hi Dave, you did a very nice job with that revolver. I look forward to your shooting report.

The closest thing I have to your revolver is the Pietta .44 Yank:

Regards,
Richard

Thanks Richard, I appreciate it. If the weather holds (it's been raining a lot) I hope to shoot it this weekend.

Nice work in that gun! I don't know if you have seen this post on one I built a few years ago. Great fun to shoot! http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,246.msg882.html#msg882

Seen it? Your gun was the inspiration for my project Mazo! I love what you did to yours.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Thanks Scooby. It just felt like there was a hole in my collection. I needed one of these to round things out a bit. I've been sick for the past few days, but I'm feeling quite a bit better now. Hope to get back on the project tomorrow and make some more progress. Needs a front site yet, and I want to finish smoothing out the barrel and crown it.

I also don't really like the grip. As good as it feels in the hand, it looks a little too modern for my taste. So I'm going forward with the creation of a birdshead.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »
Real nice job!
BTW, is that holster made by Mike116? Maker's mark seems familiar.