Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: knife sharpening?  (Read 5745 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
knife sharpening?
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »
Hi, I have been looking for stones to do knife sharpening. Prices are all over the place. What I would like to buy is a knife stone that will produce a razor edge. Arkansas, carborundum, and diamond sharpeners have my head spinning. Prices are all over the place.

Do you have experience with sharpening stones where you can recommend a stone costing $50 or less?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: knife sharpening?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »
Hi, I have been looking for stones to do knife sharpening. Prices are all over the place. What I would like to buy is a knife stone that will produce a razor edge. Arkansas, carborundum, and diamond sharpeners have my head spinning. Prices are all over the place.

Do you have experience with sharpening stones where you can recommend a stone costing $50 or less?

Regards,
Richard
I would suggest PM'ing Straw Hat...sharpening is what he does for a living.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
I use a wet sandstone wheel (at slow speed) and then a leather belt with some polishing paste on it (very old fashioned and very effective).

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:19:33 AM »
Hi, at my age I can't wait long for recommendations for a sharpening stone. Therefore, I will take a chance on this sharpening stone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075L3MV2D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report on how well it works after receipt.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
Back when I was young and in the Boyscouts, My Great Uncle taught me to sharpen a knife with a stone. He was a sharpener by trade and could literally sharpen anything with an edge. From knives to scissors and saw blades. He took me to Sears and bought me a big, double sided stone made by Craftsman. I had it for at least 25 years, until my brother dropped it and broke it into pieces.

These days, I use the Lansky sharpening system. it's easy to use and puts a nice edge on the blade.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »
Hi, at my age I can't wait long for recommendations for a sharpening stone. Therefore, I will take a chance on this sharpening stone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075L3MV2D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report on how well it works after receipt.

Regards,
Richard

Looking forward to your report Richard. Are you getting the 6000/8000 grit? I have the 1k/6k one. I'll admit I can't use right to save my life so far, but then again I'm a rank amateur at using a stone.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »
Hi val, I'm getting the 3000/8000 wetstone. I keep my knives in pretty good condition so looking for a hard stone to produce the final razor edge. These carborundum stones only require water, not oil. However, I have always desired to get a hard translucent Arkansas sharpening stone. The Arkansas stones require oil.

In the past I have used a crummy Craftsman carborundum stone for knife sharpening and always wanted a better sharpening tool. I see some potential use in gunsmithing for these new sharpening stones. I have a set of four hard small Arkansas stones that I used for guns:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/566859/norton-hard-arkansas-sharpening-stone-pack-of-4-ultra-fine

However, they are a too small for knife sharpening. This Midway USA hard Arkansas sharpening stone look interesting for a low price:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/486316/lansky-hard-arkansas-bench-sharpening-stone-6-x-2

I'll also give that one a try.

Regards,
Richard

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
Richard,

That midway stone certainly looks nice. What sort of water stone would you recommend for setting a decent edge? My Smith's Pocket Sharpener has done well so far but I want to teach myself using a stone by practicing on some of my cheaper beater knives.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »
I've got an old Smith's Tri Hone I've had since the 90's with three Arkansas oil stones.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 06:10:42 AM »
Hi val, the Sharp Pebble sharpening stone arrived yesterday. Per the instructions I soaked the stone in water for 15 minutes. My first sharpening test for this stone was my SOG Aegis pocket knife. The knife was sharp, but not as sharp as when after sharpening on the 8000 grit side of the Sharp Pebble. I could tell that the stone was removing metal from the knife by the black shown in the water on the sharpening stone. The edge took a mirror finish in less than five minutes and is sharp enough to use for shaving.

So far, I'm impressed with the Sharp Pebble sharpening stone.

The Arkansas stone from Midway USA has been ordered. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline Rebel Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 08:09:38 AM »
I mark all the cutting edges of my blades with a black magic marker when I sharpen them. You can eye ball them easier.

Rebel Dave
Rebel Dave

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
Hi Dave, that's a great tip. Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
Hi, after sharpening a number of knifes using the Sharp Pebble sharpening stone, I must report a problem using that stone. The 8000 grit side of the stone gouges too easily. One would think that a 8000 grit stone would be hard. It is actually soft. While the stone produced good knife edges, I suspect that it won't last too long. I'm going to send it back for refund.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »
Hi, looking for that perfect fine/hard sharpening stone an Arkansas stone was purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015BNPXES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Arkansas stone requires oil, not water, so this was also purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEOCK8I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I gave this stone a try on one of my knifes yesterday. The Dan's Arkansas stone worked great, produced a very fine knife edge. The stone is very hard natural silica and didn't gouge like the Sharp Pebble that is fused carborundum. The Dan's Arkansas should last a lifetime.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 04:45:29 AM »
Hi, the Midway USA Lansky Arkansas $15 sharpening stone arrived yesterday:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/486316/lansky-hard-arkansas-bench-sharpening-stone-6-x-2

It is a hard stone, but rough on the surface. It would be good for repairing a damaged knife edge, but for a super keen edge, the Dan's stone is superior. The Lansky quickly brought a damaged knife edge to a good edge, but needed the Dan's stone to finish.

BTW, that Knife Oil worked well. The Knife Oil has a nice dispersal spout. The oil is basically mineral oil, but is guaranteed food safe that has the $11 price seem reasonable.

Regards,
Richard