Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 45 Colt V 1860  (Read 2972 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
45 Colt V 1860
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
So began shooting and enjoying my SAA's back when buying bullets and primers and Unique powder made my fav cartridge fun AND cheaper then 22 LR ammo. Then prices gained on bullets n powder so I switched back to the percussion revolvers for economy.

Then I discovered that by casting my own bullets, my economy came back for both the SAA's as well as the percussion revolvers.

Now the percussion caps have become harder to come by as well as expensive when found.

Which brings me back to my 45 Colt SAA's. Both the primers, easy to obtain, and cheaper then cap's ... as well as economy in powder purchase. My fav Unique powder WAY more economical then black powder.

No more wondering what to do next with the percussion to eek out accuracy as my Colt SAA will WAY out shoot any percussion I ever held ... mine nor anybody else's.

Headed out to load some more 45's now so I can go exercise my Colt. .May take along my SHORTY model 73 also chambered in the mighty 45 Colt.

Sooo, just wanted to mention this to all and encourage more post's shooting these wonderful revolvers. Lets get on with the smokin of these hugely fun ... and economical to shoot revolvers ( if you cast yer own bullets ).

Letz hear it shooters!
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: 45 Colt V 1860
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
I use Unique in my .44RM and .380 handloads as well. Now that I am buying a Winchester '66 in .44-40WCF, I am considering looking for a Colt-style SAA "compadre" chambered in that as well.
I should be able to shoot that indoors using Trail Boss.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:22:40 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »

I am sorry to hear that you can not get percussion caps. I guess I am blessed to have lots of them here and in my gun room. I agree that .45 Colt is a great cartridge. Apparently I am a purist cuz I load mine with black. Fortunately this is easy to come by here also.

Just because I can obtain these items with relative ease, I need to remind everyone that this is a terrible place! Right now I have snow up to my waist and drifts much higher. It cold and the wind blows, We have prickly Pear cactus, tumble weeds, sage brush etc. A horrible place where you'd never want to live. (7&

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:21:42 PM by Captainkirk »
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
Speaking of economical, I use Bullseye for several cartridges.  At ~3 grains for .38s/.380s and TWO grains in my .32 the 8 pounds I got for Christmas should last a long time.  BTW, anyone have a .32 mold they want to get rid of?  About 98 grain SWC that drops at .314+ would be close to perfect.  I've got some wheelweights to use up.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »
When I go smokeless I use W 231.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:27:02 AM »
NRA Life Member

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 12:49:18 PM »
Yep that just proves my point. Those caps are .05 cents each while my CCI primers go as low as .02. Cents each. And they have no hazmat nor shipping

I love shooting black powder ad well but ... it is very much more expensive then my Unique powder. For one thing, even if the cost per pound were the same ... compare 8 grains unique against 30 grains 2 or 3Fg black. That's a huge savings rite there. That is 233 loads per pound for 3F against 875 loads for the Unique.

Do not get me wrong tho, I enjoy shooting black powder very much and intend to continue, however it is good to stop every once in awhile to keep economy in mind. I do set aside pounds of powder and primers for the best BANG for the buck tho ... yep pun intended.

The equation is the same between 38 spcl and 36 cal.
BIGTED

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
Yep that just proves my point. Those caps are .05 cents each while my CCI primers go as low as .02. Cents each. And they have no hazmat nor shipping

I love shooting black powder ad well but ... it is very much more expensive then my Unique powder. For one thing, even if the cost per pound were the same ... compare 8 grains unique against 30 grains 2 or 3Fg black. That's a huge savings rite there. That is 233 loads per pound for 3F against 875 loads for the Unique.

Do not get me wrong tho, I enjoy shooting black powder very much and intend to continue, however it is good to stop every once in awhile to keep economy in mind. I do set aside pounds of powder and primers for the best BANG for the buck tho ... yep pun intended.

The equation is the same between 38 spcl and 36 cal.

Like you, I prefer black. If I am loading handgun cartridges with mitro powder, Unique is hard to beat for everyday use!
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!