Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Neat old flask  (Read 3215 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Neat old flask
« on: April 02, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
I saw this one on eBay and it called out to me to rescue it. So I put in a ridiculously low bid and got it.

It's in good shape, other than being dirty. I'm not sure what it's made of and it is going to be hard to tell because it's painted. The paint is wrinkly and looks really old. The cap and spout are brass plated I believe, because there's rust on them. There are no maker's marks or any markings on it anywhere. Any ideas?

The spout is adjustable and is marked 1, 2 and 2 1/4. I assume that's drams? Maybe a shotgun flask?

Whatever it is, I like it and I'll put it to good use.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Neat old flask
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »
I agree, I think it is a shotgun or fowler flask. Nice score!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
Thanks Mazo. Even as crusty as it is, it still functions perfectly too. It won't be sitting around gathering dust anymore. I'm going to press it into service.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:23:10 PM »
Good score!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:58:33 AM »
Nice find,   I have several old flasks and I'm always looking for more.   Sometimes they turn up in unexpected places.    I have "The Powder Flask Book" by Ray Riling.   I'll try to remember to see if I can find your flask in the book.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 07:12:43 AM »
This flask looks to be #350 in Rilings' book "The Powder Flask Book"    There is no other information provided.   This one looks like an American made copy of a Dixon or other European maker.   There were hundreds of small American makers doing knock-offs of well regarded European designs.   If you can find any markings it might help identify the maker.   Most were unmarked according to the book. 
In 1953 the book lists the value at $13.    Adjusted for inflation that would equal $122 in 2019.    It really doesn't work that way though.   It's been 66 years since the book was published so it would be hard to put a value on it according to a book that old.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 08:40:20 AM »
Thanks Fellas. And thank you Mike for the investigative work. I appreciate it.

I have been all over the flask with a magnifying glass, literally. I can't find a single mark on it. I believe it is not brass or copper. It's very light. I only paid $15 for it, so I think I did okay. It's definitely old and fits right in with the rest of my gear. I'm even going to leave the dingy old lanyard on it.

I love old, original stuff.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »
I was just going to say that I did not think your flask was brass, simply because it was painted. My guess is that it is zinc. I have a couple of zinc flasks in my collection. You also said you thought there was rust on the top and spout; are you sure it is just not old powder residue? It will stain brass quite dark. Rust on the spring, yes. The maker's mark is usually stamped lightly on the top or on the ring on the top.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:52:21 AM by mazo kid »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
I was just going to say that I did not think your flask was brass, simply because it was painted. My guess is that it is zinc. I have a couple of zinc flasks in my collection. You also said you thought there was rust on the top and spout; are you sure it is just not old powder residue? It will stain brass quite dark. Rust on the spring, yes. The maker's mark is usually stamped lightly on the top or on the ring on the top.

I agree with you Mazo, I think it's zinc.

I took some 0000 steel wool to the brass parts and some of the rust came off. I'll take a closer look, but it looks like plating. I also used my jeweler's loupe and tried to find any kind of markings. Didn't find a thing.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
Just pulled one of mine up for a photo shoot....

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
That's an oldie but a goodie Mazo!

Here's a better shot of the top of mine. You can see, it looks like the brass is plated. And also, there's no screw securing the spring.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »
I have some that have a non showing internal spring.