Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Homemade Snap Caps  (Read 3850 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Homemade Snap Caps
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
I'm probably crazy for doing this, but I hate buying things I know I can make myself. Plus, I'm one of those guys that gets something in their head, and I have to make it a reality. So here I am, making my own damn snap caps.

I used to make brass chassis slot cars, so I had the brass around already. I use K&S brand, because it's good and it's available at my local mom and pop hardware. With all that being said, here we go.

I started by drilling out the primer pocket, and sleeving it with a piece of 7/32 brass tubing. This is the pocket that the plunger will ride in. It is soldered into the case.

Next, I constructed the plunger. It's a piece of 3/16 brass rod, with a section of the 7/32 tubing slid over it. This will act as the stop to keep the rod flush with the case head, like a primer. It will also give the spring something to bear against.

The next step was to drill a hole part way through a bullet, to accommodate another piece of 7/32 tube for the spring to attach to. Once the spring is attached, it is slid over the post of the plunger. The assembly is now ready to go in the case.

My calculations worked out pretty good, the plunger sits just about right.

I put the case in my press and flared the mouth. Then once the assembly was done, I seated the bullet with the press also. I then ran it through the factory crimp die, to make sure the bullet stayed where it was supposed to. It will be getting cycled through my 66 rifle, so I don't want it coming apart.

Once the snap cap was complete, I drilled two 1/8" holes in the sides of the case. I did that for two reasons. 1.) so I know at a glance if I've grabbed a loaded round or the snap cap. 2.) So I can put a drop of oil in it once in a while to keep it lubed up and working.

I ran it through my Winchester about 20 times, without a hitch. Now I just need to make 9 more.  (7+"

Like I said, I must be crazy to go to these lengths for something I could buy. But it gives me satisfaction to make things myself. Besides, mine will probably far outlast the crappy plastic ones that are for sale.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Homemade Snap Caps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:28:41 AM »
That is a neat idea!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »
Ingenious, is what it is!
Great work, Dave...and a super good idea! (When was the last time you saw a Snap Cap in .44-40?)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 07:49:13 AM »
Thanks Gents.

You know Capt. come to think of it, I haven't seen any in 44-40.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
Hi Dave, that's a great idea, thanks for posting.  )l_ )l_ I've always hated those plastic snap-caps.

The only thing I would add is to paint the cartridge head with red fingernail polish so that it is seen as a snap-cap when chambered.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
Thanks Gents.

I bought a set at Sportsmans Warehouse.     You can find them online too.   https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/pachmayr-a-zoom-shotgun-metal-snap-caps-44-40-winchester-metal-16123-666692161230.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=431653

A Zoom snap caps are metal and last forever.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
Hi Dave, that's a great idea, thanks for posting.  )l_ )l_ I've always hated those plastic snap-caps.

The only thing I would add is to paint the cartridge head with red fingernail polish so that it is seen as a snap-cap when chambered.

Regards,
Richard

I hate them too Richard. I know it's silly, but I hate that "boing" noise they make. I have a set I use in my revolvers for practice. "boing, boing, boing...." drives me nuts. The one I made is silent.

The red paint is a good idea too.

Thanks Gents.

I bought a set at Sportsmans Warehouse.     You can find them online too.   https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/pachmayr-a-zoom-shotgun-metal-snap-caps-44-40-winchester-metal-16123-666692161230.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=431653

A Zoom snap caps are metal and last forever.

I'll have to check that out Mike. Although it was fun making my own.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 10:43:01 AM »
Hi Dave,  I applaud your ambition and ingenuity in making your own dummy rounds.   I wish I had the time to apply to things like that. 
I was happy to find the metal snap caps and as a plus... they don't go "boing, boing, boing".

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
...... and as a plus... they don't go "boing, boing, boing".

Am I right?!?!  (7+"

You can hear the spring resonate inside the plastic cartridge. Sounds silly.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

Am I right?!?!  (7+"

'Tigger-Pops?'
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »

Am I right?!?!  (7+"

'Tigger-Pops?'

*6'
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 03:19:28 AM »
Great work, Dave...and a super good idea! (When was the last time you saw a Snap Cap in .44-40?)

Dave, yours are more than just snap caps.  Since you use actual cases and bullets they are Action Proving Dummies as well.
Looks like the 44-40 ones Brownells carried have been discontinued.
 367-000-006MB 
Centerfire Handgun Dummies, .44-40, per 5
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »

Dave, yours are more than just snap caps.  Since you use actual cases and bullets they are Action Proving Dummies as well.
Looks like the 44-40 ones Brownells carried have been discontinued.
 367-000-006MB
Centerfire Handgun Dummies, .44-40, per 5

Thanks Dave. I kinda looked at them that way too. Another gentleman I know, suggested I remove about half of the case rim. That way the extractor can't pull it from the chamber. For practicing, he suggests it's easier than having to retrieve 10 dummies that have flung out of the gun, onto the floor. I agree with that somewhat, and if I was just practicing pointing the rifle, cycling the action and shooting, that would be okay. But I feel having the rounds ejecting from the rifle is more realistic. The rifle function feels completely different when it's actually pulling and ejecting a round.

So I will construct 9 more so I will have a full magazine full, so I get the full effect of the rifle functioning.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 05:54:28 PM »
I made up a few several years ago, using spring loaded "primers". Didn't have a bullet in them though. I don't remember the caliber, can't put my fingers on them at present. L@J