Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Johnston & Dow paper cartridges. The ShotgunDave way  (Read 7184 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Johnston & Dow paper cartridges. The ShotgunDave way
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
Hey Fellas, I've noticed a bit of a trend lately. It seems we're all posting about rifles, cartridges and such, but nothing about our beloved Colts or much associated with them. So I thought I'd come full circle and do something with a Colt and black powder. I thought you all might like to see how I constructed paper cartridges with the J&D bullet. If not, don't look past the first photo. Because what follows is a pictorial on how I do it. Hopefully no one is bored to tears.

So now that you've seen the end result, I'll get down to business.

Since loading these bullets is a different proposition than round ball, I needed a new mandrel. I started with a 1/2" diameter wooden dowel. I cut a piece off about 3" long and chucked it in my drill press. I used a rasp to dress it down to the dimensions shown in the picture. Then some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. Once it was done, and the ring marked on, I rubbed it down good with beeswax so the paper and glue won't stick. Easy.

Now that we have a mandrel for rolling, lets roll em' up. I use the hair curler papers, just like for my round ball carts. This is the position of the mandrel on the paper, when I start.

Then I fold the top of the paper over the mandrel, and run the glue stick down that whole edge at the bottom of the paper.......

....after the glue, roll the paper up around the mandrel like this.

Once it's rolled up, twist the small end together tight.

Now, you will be able to see the ring marked on the mandrel, through the paper. Using a pencil, make a mark on the paper right where that ring is.

The mark is where you will cut the tube with a pair of scissors. You can also shorten up that twisted pigtail at the same time.

You now have a "cartridge" to load.

I set the cartridge in my loading block. It's just easier. I then use a small funnel to put the powder charge in. In this case, I load 20 grains of FFFg Goex. You can see how much it fills the "case".

Now comes the part everyone hates, putting glue on the bullet. It's really not that hard though. Just hold the bullet like I show in the picture, and twist it. This will put glue right on the skirt of the bullet where it belongs. I don't even get it on my fingers.

Just take that freshly glued bullet, and set in in the case. It sits in there just right. Then pick it up, roll the bullet in your fingers and it will smooth out and stick the paper to the bullet good. You can now give a little twist on the pigtail and tighten the whole thing up a bit. And you're done!

It's really not that hard. It took WAY longer to type this up than it took to make all six cartridges. I used my stopwatch and timed myself, it took less than 1 1/2 minutes to make a cartridge. 1 minute, 27 seconds actually. And I'm a sausage fingered rookie.

They fit nicely in the cylinder too.

So go ahead, give it a try. You could do it this way with round ball too. It would just be a little trickier getting the glue on the ball.

I also want to thank Scooby for sending me the bullets to try out. Sorry it took me so long to get them loaded.

Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:31:20 AM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston & Dow paper cartridges. The ShotgunDave way
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
I've got some Richmond Labs bullets I want to try but it won't quit raining long enough to dry out any of the places I can get to to shoot. I do miss living in the country.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:22:07 AM »
What a great and informative thread, Dave! It looks so easy a cave man could do it!
I really appreciate you taking the time to lay this out like you did. I'm going to make it a sticky.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
What a great and informative thread, Dave! It looks so easy a cave man could do it!
I really appreciate you taking the time to lay this out like you did. I'm going to make it a sticky.

Thanks Capt!

Hopefully it takes away some of the apprehension that a lot of folks have, about loading paper carts. Specially doing it this way, glueing the bullets on the end.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »

Thanks Capt!

Hopefully it takes away some of the apprehension that a lot of folks have, about loading paper carts. Specially doing it this way, glueing the bullets on the end.

Yes, and while I don't have a J&D mould, I DO have a Lee conical mould that should work great with this little trick.
Again, thanks for taking the time to lay this out. That's what these forums are for.

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »
I must be denser than some folks, but did you put the glue along the long axis of the paper to the left side of the picture or did you put it along the shorter side to the bottom right?  Also, couldn't you cut the curler papers in half and get two cartridges without all the waste that you cut off with the scissors?  Gray Fox

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »
I must be denser than some folks, but did you put the glue along the long axis of the paper to the left side of the picture or did you put it along the shorter side to the bottom right?  Also, couldn't you cut the curler papers in half and get two cartridges without all the waste that you cut off with the scissors?  Gray Fox

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Grey Fox. I knew it was a little unclear when I uploaded the photo. Here's what I meant, and I replaced the photo in the first post to make it more clear what I meant. Good catch.

And you probably could cut the paper prior to rolling. I didn't try it that way. I'll try it and report back.

I do like to get a double thickness of paper in my cartridges. It makes them a lot stronger. And I've never had a problem with it burning completely in the chamber.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:34:57 AM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
Seems to me you lose a lot of usable paper that way but if you cut them to size first you have to use a template or they wont wrap around the former right.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
Shotgundave:  Thanks for the clarification.  I love this forum and the 1858 one for the friendly way everyone responds to questions.  Lots of good folks here.  GF

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
Shotgundave:  Thanks for the clarification.  I love this forum and the 1858 one for the friendly way everyone responds to questions.  Lots of good folks here.  GF

You're very welcome GF.

And I couldn't agree more.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »

GF, I agree and intend to keep it that way.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
BTW, Dave...that is one hunka good lookin' gun in pic #1! Pietta, Uberti, or "other"?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
BTW, Dave...that is one hunka good lookin' gun in pic #1! Pietta, Uberti, or "other"?

Thanks Capt.

It's my Uberti fluted model. Love that damn thing. It's a work of art as far as I'm concerned.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial, Dave. I haven't made any yet so this thread helps me understand another way to do it from the videos I've seen. Next I'll hit the next thread and watch your video. Hopefully that will show more on round ball cartridges.

The fluted 1860 is my favorite of all 1860s. Colt shipped 500 of them to the South in 1861, evidently the only shipment ever to get sold to the Confederacy. They just look great.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
Glad you like it Marshal. Here's my other video on making the paper cartridges. The difference in this one is, I use my cartridge former that I make from resin. I have molds for these, I just need to get more resin to make them.

If you don't want or need a former, watch the video in the other thread. It shows how to make them without one. And it does show how to make them with round ball, instead of a conical.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:11:47 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln