Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Found the Sockeye  (Read 4051 times)

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Found the Sockeye
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
We found the reds today... right where they should be, in good numbers..

Did we catch any??? well  Some did, and some... welll... you better watch this..

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/4gNAPlQuzpY7FyL

might have to stay tuned..

AG
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: Found the Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:09:28 PM »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »
Man that's gorgeous AG!

Quite the haul of fish too!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:06 AM »
not sure I would call it fiahing... more like harvesting....

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »
Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing! )lI
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
Hi AG, nice looking fish, all red. The Kings and Silvers in Lake Ontario have a white flesh. Are you going to smoke any?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 11:20:10 AM »
Mmmmmm!! Smoked salmon!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
in the smoker as we speak

then will be canned in Jars.. the white meat in the top jar is Halibut, which I also smoke and can...

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:38:17 AM »
then will be canned in Jars.. the white meat in the top jar is Halibut, which I also smoke and can...

Is the white jar on top just for the halibut? *6'  (7+"

JK... ;)...I bet you REALLY start to appreciate that around the middle of January.
I generally really start to appreciate my venison over the winter (when I have it) as the freezer begins to empty.
Do you guys get in much ice fishing over the winter, or is the ice too thick to make it practical?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
just for the Hal-of-it.  *6'

actually sir, there is virtually no ice fishing close by here.  we get tons of ice but you wont catch me walking on it.. ice forms then temps warm a bit, ice rots, the refreezes, warms and ice rots, re freezes. makes for lots of ice, but rotten ice for sure. many have lost thier lives on ice around here. i stay off it except the ice on my driveway, and the roads.. pleanty of that to satisfy my thoughs of Ice Fishing..

the other thing is, almost every single lake, and stream empty into the ocean. the rivers and lakes are fairly barren compared to the ocean in the winter. the salmon eggs hatch end of feb and march, and those that are ready head out to the sea. the rivers and lakes around here have but one function, to raise the next generation, and act as nurserys. i only know of one lake within 50 miles that is partially land locked, and the fish do t get very big in it due to shortage of food. even cutthroat trout are sea run here. dollys, rainbows, everything lives in sea a good part of the year as it is close by.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
in the smoker as we speak then will be canned in jars.. the white meat in the top jar is Halibut, which I also smoke and can...

AG,

We have conversed in email about our Alaska experiences. I know you live on a remote part of P.O.W. Island, but you must have power and refrigeration. Jarred fish (to me) is just an anathema, unless that is the only way you have to preserve it. When heated, it stinks like "fish", and good fish should smell like the salt water it came from. We had a guy at work (long ago) who did jarred reds and when he nuked his lunch it drove everyone out of the break room.

I usually smoked salmon (red/sockeye were the best, and king/chinook and silver/coho were next in line, but humpy/pink and chum/dog were the pits) and usually used a Luhr-Jensen Big Chief or Little Chief (or both) for hot smoking. I also built a cold smoker that worked well, but for all that work, money, and time, the finished salmon did not last much longer in the refrigerator or freezer. I have also smoked halibut and Pacific cod but the results were not satisfactory to me.

I used to have my perfected brine recipe but I lost it when my old HDD died. I can probably get it back from my daughter if she has not deleted it.

When I smoked salmon in Anchorage my wife made me put it far out in the yard downwind so she would not to have to smell the nearly endless rounds of fish smoke when we got into a lot of fish, as in dipnetting beaucoup fish at the mouth of the Kenai River. Good thing I had a 100' extension cord. Such is life.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 07:05:12 AM »
howdy Jim...

well one thing yur friend diddnt seem to realize.. smoked canned fish is already cooked.. lol. why in the heck would he put it in the microwave???? when I can fish, it is for use samiches!!! (sandwiches with salmon) that is pretty much the only way to eat canned salmon.. a bit of mayo, some onion, pickles, and whatever you have in the fridge to mix it all up and put it on "sourdough" bread..  ($!

it is also great in Dips.. a bit of cremecheese, and OMG!!! also great in Salads when fresh veggies are available, and if your like me, i take a jar and throw it into my backpack with a bunch of crackers and have instant lunch... especially duck hunting..

freezer space around here is available but limited. electricity is generated from Pure gold around here (diesel) for the most part and is hugely expensive.  have one smallish chest freezer and it is packed. deer season, moose, duck, goose, and junk that I buy fills it to the brim. there is a small freezer above my fridge that I use for bread stuff. if I try to get fish in there, its over for mammal meat and frozen veggies. i have the the most efficient freezer I could get my hands on, and am super careful with power apliances and chargers, and my power bill still runs around 140 in the summer, and nearly 200 in the winter.  we do have one hydro plant on the island, but it doesnt keep up at all, so we get a diesel surcharge tacked on to our bill that doubles our power consumption rate. there are only so many folks to recoup costs, and many generate thier own power, so those that are on the grid pay dearly.

i typically cann about 50-100 pints of fish, 50 or so mushrooms, 60 or 70quarts of potatos, 30 quarts of different meats for stewing, and all sorts of berries and such, tomato products like salsa and tewed tomatos... if I can can it, i do.. i have canned entire meals like stew, chili, and so forth. i figure I could go a year or so on the storage of canned foods, at least that is what I plan for...

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 07:43:31 AM »
Hi AG, the only issue for salmon fishing is competing with the bears? Do you always carry your .44 Mag with you outdoors?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »
its not the only reaso.. lol

i always carry the 44 in the summer.. especially when fishing, but everywhere.. bears love everything I love except i am not much for eating garbage.. or eating the vinyl  seats off my ATV... plastic is NOT on my menu... but bears love to eat my 4wheeler seat for some reason.. had to buy 4 of them in the last 4 years alone...

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »
Those bears must have a plastic fetish. I've seen the ones in California chew up garden hoses and rubber rafts.