Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Classic Firearms Cap and Ball paper cartridge box  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Firearms Cap and Ball paper cartridge box
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »
Those are mondo-cool! Love the history behind them!
Junk? I think not...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »
Wow.. now that display is even cooler now that we got the back story.. i just love that H&A 32 Shorty... the engraving is very interesting.. thanks so much for showing it all off!!!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 02:12:04 PM »
Thanks Fellas. You're very welcome! I appreciate the interest!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
Dave,

Turning up that derringer with a tiller is just great fortune! I have never had luck like that. EVER!

I really like that H&A Ranger! It reminds me so much of a couple of spur trigger revolvers my Grandfather had hanging on the back wall of his basement wet bar. He was on very good terms with local Detroit cops who would give him contraband that was confiscated from perps that they had rousted on the street (to include brass knuckles and knives) in exchange for a couple rounds of bourbon. Such was Detroit in the 50's and 60's.

Both were old nickel plated Iver Johnson guns, one in .32 and one in .22 Short. The finish on both guns was bad with peeling/flaking and the function of them was not the best, to say the least. In the mid 60's my Dad had a 50' shooting range in our basement with a 1/4" plate steel bullet trap made by a friend of his, and it was very ingenious as to how it worked. My Dad actually shot one round from the Iver .22 before stating he would not shoot it again, and it was once again relegated to wallhanger status.

Thanks for the thread and the photos!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 04:02:22 PM »
Thanks Richard! I generally don't have luck like that either. I'm just glad it wasn't loaded!!  (jh

Once in a while, I think I need a H&A just like this one, that I can shoot. They're not expensive really, running about $300 for a nice shootable specimen. I may end up with one someday.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
Back to the cartridge boxes... I also ordered 2 of them and was very satisfied with them. However.....I had them stored in my basement for several months. When I checked them, the wood had swollen to the point where it was firmly in place. I did a bit of microwave witchery, very tentative, until I finally got the wood out. I then lightly sanded the wood so that it was a easy slip fit in the wrapper. Just a FYI.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:23:06 PM by mazo kid »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 10:11:29 PM »
You know Mazo, mine did that too. Mine are displayed on the shelf I pictured earlier. They're not in a humid environment. But the wood swelled to the point I couldn't get them out of the sleeve. After I did get them out, I did the same thing and sanded them with 400 grit sandpaper. I just broke the sharp edges and smoothed out the rest a bit. Now they slip right in and out.

Not a deal breaker at all for me. After all, they did come half way across the globe.
-Abe Lincoln