Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Thinking of this for a project  (Read 7451 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Thinking of this for a project
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
If I were going to the trouble of bluing the barrel I would remove all the markings while It is stripped down.   

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »
I'm with Mike. If it were mine, I'd remove the billboards.

Looks like you're well underway.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »
I tend to agree. I really want to see the nitre blue finish. I think that will be a work of art.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 04:15:59 AM »
Hi, the Pietta side barrel markings are gone, gone, gone:

Recently purchased a bench sander that did the trick in a couple of seconds, 100, 150, and 220 grit belts were used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC1HYBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The edges of the octagon barrel are nice and sharp. Some additional hand fine sandpaper work should have the barrel ready for buffing wheel polishing.

The revolver internal parts were stoned and the brass frame parts polished with Brasso. A slicked up brass frame revolver can ever be matched in smoothness by a steel framed revolver. Everyone seems to want a magnum, but shooting light loads in brass framed revolvers is a joy to experience.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:48:33 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 06:57:51 AM »
Hi, the polishing has begun. I intend to leave the 2019 stamped on the underside of the barrel and the proof marks on the cylinder.

The barrel is beginning to take a nice high polish, but I wonder if a satin finish would look better? Maybe a satin finish wouldn't pick up finger marks as much as a polished finish?

What do you think?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Hi, photo of fifteen minutes of power buffing with Flitz metal polish. The polish is coming along nicely. Maybe another thirty minutes will finish the polishing. I need to be careful not to create waves in the metal surface by over buffing.

Getting the Pietta grip finish off the grips is a bit of a problem. Solvents like acetone don't touch the finish. I suspect that the finish is polyurethane where either a paint remover or sanding will be required to remove the finish.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 10:17:34 AM »
Hi, the Pietta side barrel markings are gone, gone, gone:

Recently purchased a bench sander that did the trick in a couple of seconds, 100, 150, and 220 grit belts were used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC1HYBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The edges of the octagon barrel are nice and sharp. Some additional hand fine sandpaper work should have the barrel ready for buffing wheel polishing.

The revolver internal parts were stoned and the brass frame parts polished with Brasso. A slicked up brass frame revolver can ever be matched in smoothness by a steel framed revolver. Everyone seems to want a magnum, but shooting light loads in brass framed revolvers is a joy to experience.

Regards,
Richard
Nice work Richard, and a good tune by John Hiatt!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Richard,

It looks very good.

I am glad I am in your head, for what that is worth...

This is one reason I am not in favor of defarbing/antiquing replica revolvers.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/antique-L-E-TUCKER-amp-SONS-DRAGOON-MODEL-44CAL-REVOLVER/lotInformation/46396060

It is clearly an ASM repro, as can be seen with the "L.E. Tucker And Sons" rollmark on the top of the barrel lug. The original had hand stamped "cursive" letters in the same place, and was only made in .36 caliber.

Someone spent $2200 plus auction fees for a $300 replica. I understand that education is the key, but there are folks out there who are uneducated and are duped into purchasing something that it is not.

That is what I am totally against. Forget about them looking for metric screws. I just want to see the fakes off of the market, but it will never happen, as long as there is money to be made.

Glad to see you are stamping 2019 on the gun.

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:46:28 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 02:51:49 PM »
The polishing is looking great Richard. Nicely done. My vote is for bright polished as opposed to satin. The brass is mirror like, the bluing should be also. In my humble opinion of course. Do as you see fit.

I was expecting to see a video of you, grinding away on the barrel. I was pleasantly surprised to here a song instead!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 04:32:35 PM »
Looking real nice, so far.

I’m of a contrary opinion to that of our friend Shotgun.  Go satin.  Mirror like finishes are for wedding rings and … mirrors   -  not guns. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:47:10 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
Hi, I spent the entire morning doing the niter bluing of the 1851 barrel and cylinder. I finally met my match, this was one nitre bluing job too far. Niter bluing is mostly used to blue small parts. The niter bluing of the larger barrel showed the limitations. Both the cylinder and barrel showed uneven bluing on my first pass. I did a second pass that helped some, but the result is much less than I had hoped. Small differences in part metallurgy produce different bluing results. Look at the area around the wedge to see the problem. Part of the problem is because I wanted a mirror finish bluing. IMO if the steel finish was a little rougher, the bluing would look more uniform and dark. However, if the desire is to show a used charcoal blued that is somewhat worn, the result produced today is ideal.

One may suggest putting the blued parts back in the niter salts, but that wouldn't work in that any more bluing would produce a neon blue appearance. That may look good for the video game crowd, but it's not for me.

I still need to refinish the grips. The grips wood have a great figure just crying to come out from the Pietta red mud.

So what was learned? Niter bluing is great for small parts up to cylinder size, but has issues on larger parts.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
Good enough for my tastes, Richard!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »
Cabela's these days is under the watchful eye of BPS and sales will most likely be non-existent. Not like the old days a few years ago.

Regards,

Jim

I have been waiting for Cabelas sales of the pass . You are right  Jim Bass Pro has put a damper on that for sure.
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
What kind of buffing compound are you using Richard? I was reading where oil based compounds can cause problems, even with hot salt bluing. Brownells sells grease-less compounds for this reason.  Just a thought.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
Hi Brad, I used Flitz metal polish for the last buffing. I cleaned the parts in paint thinner and then acetone before bluing. The bluing salts are at 600 dF were IMO no lube could survive. In all the niter bluing I have researched I have never seen a successful niter bluing project were they did a large part. I have the chemicals and tank to do a regular hot bluing job if motivated in the future. The niter bluing isn't bad, just not great. The niter bluing job may allow the revolver to wear naturally where it may look nice.

The wood grip refinishing may make up for the mediocre bluing.

Regards,
Richard