Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Rem navy  (Read 7498 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Rem navy
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:29:32 PM »
Well ... Saturday was my B-day ... and NEEDING a Remington navy revolver ... I bought me a Buff Arms Uberti Remington navy.

Now to watch the mail like a hawk and try not to act like an excited 63 year old kid!

Have wanted a Rem navy for some time even tho I have bought n sold several Rem Army's that bite my ring finger so much that selling them was all I could think about. Always liked the Remington revolvers except for that BUMPIN on my poor knuckle.

Hope the 36's lesser recoil will allow me pleasure instead of pain.
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rem navy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »
Try curling your pinky under the grip.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
Pinky curl gets my vote as well.
Happy Birthday, BTW!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »
Thanks fella's. Gonna try to remember the pinky curl. I have studied them and believe that it is the trigger guard loop that is too large in the rear part compared to the Colts 60 guard. If need be I will buy another guard and try to modify one for proper fit.

Another thing is the depth up under and behind the guard. Maybe carve a piece to partially fill in like the small filler they make for S&W original grip frames.

Sure like to solve this as I really like the straight forwardness of the Remington style.

Might need to try my hand at carving custom grip pannels if I can get a pattern figured out that solves my problems.

Really think the Rem 36 will be just a hoot tho. Have wanted one for awhile now. Pretty excited to get it home ... COME ON SHIPPING!!!
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:32:15 AM »
Hi Ted, one of our members Brad has cast replacement trigger guards that prevent knuckle busting. Another solution is to cut the back of the trigger guard off. I have done that. Buy a spare guard to cut from eBay. Or buy a new one, $23:
https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=13&cat=Uberti+1858+New+Army
Then there is no more knuckle busting.

You will be surprised on how your accuracy improves when you aren't concerned about that knuckle bite.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
Cool. I will deff be trying to get a TG from him for my navy.

Speaking of "my new navy" ... got home this evening and lo n behold ... there it is, setting on the table. Impressive! Just ordered it on line from Buffalo Arms Saturday. Delivered Wednesday! Absolutely cool!!! Now this I like!!!!! Uberti has a winner as far as I can tell. Have not even wiped the shipping oil off yet! This weekend I will take it to parade rest ... completely. Deep clean and inspection.

Gotta eat so more news at 11 so to speak
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 08:38:49 AM »
Hi Ted, you may want to read this thread:

https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=11385.0

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 02:22:52 PM »
WOWWWWW!!!!! Such condesention! Glad I was not part of that "discussion".

If indeed folks were not "GRIPPING" their revolver correctly ... then why the heck did Remington themselves CHANGE the grip distance from the TG on the 1875 model.

Never heard such bilge! In my youth I would have gone against anyone anywhere in revolver accuracy to include 100 and 200 yard shooting both rested and offhand ... never had an exhibition questioned where my GRIP was concerned.

My hands are HUGE! My knuckles DO hit the TG on the Remmy's! And only a complete un-natural hold will negate this! I also would argue with ANYONE over my grip.

However ... instead of an argument, I would gladly accept instruction in the art of handgun shooting just to find out if somehow my grip on a REMINGTON New model Army OR navy model is somehow wrong. My experience with ALL other revolvers is a NO THUMPING finger pain ... only the Remington known as the model 1858.

Srry ... got a bit moved by that recommended read Richard. I totally agree with you here. Again srry for the rant.

Ted
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
Ted, not to worry. If you get a 'knuckle-thumper' situation, the pinky curl will generally fix it. It might feel a tad awkward the first couple times but you get used to it fast. I have 6 7 8 (I forget) L@J Remmies and I manage to shoot them all with little or no blood loss.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 02:49:36 AM »
Thanx Cap. I think we will get along (remmy n me) once I relearn or get a mod done that will cure my thumpin problem. 36 should not be as bad as the 44's have been anyway.

Thinkin the S&W space filler behind the TG is an option. Maybe a new cast TG from a referenced feller by Richard. MAYBE just learnin to grip it different then I have any other revolver ... gonna make something work as I do like the simplicity of the Remmy's.
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
Hi Ted, the .36 recoils much less than the .44. You may not have any problem knuckle busting with the .36.

Regards,
Richard

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »
Big Ted - a picture of your new Rem Navy would be welcome.  Of great interest would be a comparative photo with it and a .44 Remington (original, Uberti or Pietta).  Does Uberti make their .36 Rem a bit smaller than the forty-four?

Another advantage of the plow-handle 1860: Those moot the questions of pinky curl and knuckle rapture (bad-energy-waves as it’s phrased here on the Left Coast).

I didn’t notice any condescension in the linked thread or any condensation either, just energy.  Howbout a picher!

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 05:43:32 PM »
I will try to post pictures. It is a 2019 model ... says so on the grip frame on the bottom. Have not known Uberti to do this before on the Remmy's.

Seems like the grip frame is different than the army model ... but this is just from memory. This is the only working Remmy I have rite now ... wish I could put it together with an army to see how it stacks up beside each other.

Same with Peitta's new grip on their army. I would like to see a comparison between a regular grip and their modified grip frame.
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 08:18:09 AM »
Well I may be a bit dense here. I clicked ""attatchment" and then "camera" then snapped a picture but now can not figure how to make it stick to the text area.

Anybody?

Well never mind ... LOL!

Guess ya gotta put writing in the text area before the photo's show up.

Anyhow there she is. Pretty and tight. Nice revolver I gotta say. Getting fonder all the time. Hope she shoots as good as she looks.

Ted
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:24:27 AM by bigted »
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »
Looks sweet to my eyes!