Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I get a kick out of  (Read 4467 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
I get a kick out of
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:10:01 AM »
Hi, my new Mossberg 930 is a joy to shoot. The gas reloading system tames 12ga recoil where I was able to shoot a few boxes of 12ga without discomfort. A couple of days ago it was warm enough outside to shoot my Ithaca/SKB over/under at steel targets. Even with a Pachmayr decelerator on the stock, I beat the shit out of myself just shooting a box of 1oz 12ga field loads. What a difference a gas operated shotgun has in felt recoil. Part of my recoil sensitivity issue may simply be my age, but even at my age, I still want to shoot my over/under without discomfort. Of course lighter load would help, but there must be some other solutions to shotgun recoil with shotguns like over/under, pump, etc.. I ordered a Limbsaver slip on pad that may offer better performance than the Pachmayr. Adding weight to a shotgun also reduces the felt recoil. I am going to try filling the hole in the stock with lead shot to increase the weight of the over/under.

Any other suggestions on how to reduce shotgun felt recoil would be appreciated.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: I get a kick out of
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:39:06 AM »
I would get a mercury recoil reducer instead of using lead shot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
Hi Hawg, have you ever used a mercury recoil reducer? How well did it work?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »
Hi Hawg, have you ever used a mercury recoil reducer? How well did it work?

Regards,
Richard

A buddy of mine had one in an H&R Handi Rifle chambered in 450 Marlin. It reduced recoil down to 45-70 level.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:39:38 AM »
Stock fitment plays a big role in felt recoil too. If the gun doesn't fit you well, it can and will wallop you pretty good. Also, forcing cone length has a big impact on recoil. If it's an older gun, maybe lengthening the forcing cones will help.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 07:21:38 AM »
Hi Dave, I agree about fitment. I drilled a 5/8" hole in the stock. It already had a 5/8" hole for attaching the stock holding nut. The holes were then filled with #9 shot. I was able to get 12oz of shot in the stock. The balance is still pretty good. The Limbsaver recoil pad came in and installed on the stock. That Limbsaver pad is pretty squishy compared to the Pachmayr Decelerator pad. As soon as the rain stops I will test out the 12oz heavier O/U with both the Limbsaver and Pachmayr pads. Will report back the results.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »
I look forward to hearing how it works.

I had a Browning A-5 once, that had one of the mercury recoil reducers in the stock. I removed it because it was heavy. I didn't notice any difference in felt recoil. I'm not really sure why anyone would put one in an A-5 to start with. The recoiling barrel soaks up a lot of recoil all by itself.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »
Hi Dave, the results are in. The 12 gauge O/U with 12oz of shot in the stock and the Limbsaver recoil pad becomes a little kitty cat. I'm truly amazed on how minimal the felt recoil. The Pachmayr Decelerator pad didn't work as well as the Limbsaver in that recoil was greater than when using the Pachmayr Decelerator pad compared to the Limbsaver. In hindsight I should have tried just using the hard plastic stock cap. I think that most of the benefit reducing felt recoil was because of the added 12oz in the stock. The shotgun with the 12oz shot and Limbsaver pad now weighs 8lb 5oz.

I agree with you about the shotgun feeling heavier. If I was to use it for hunting, I would remove the lead shot.

Bottom line, the Limbsaver pad wins in reducing felt recoil. It turn a pit bull felt recoil into a little kitty cat where I could shoot hundreds of rounds without discomfort.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks for the update Richard. This is good information to know.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 07:15:44 PM »
Have you ever tried a Past recoil pad? The recoil is still there, but the pain is gone!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
Have you ever tried a Past recoil pad? The recoil is still there, but the pain is gone!

I have! I bought the Magnum Pad when I was sighting in my 7mm Magnum handloads (+3000fps) and was able to shoot 40 rounds without incident and continue to shoot other rifles afterwards. A great investment!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »
Yep, I agree. Mine is a left hand Magnum.. it is needed with some of the longer cartridges shooting from bench.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
Hi, I enjoy my Mossberg 939 All Purpose shotgun so much that not long ago I ordered the Mossberg 930 Tactical for a house protection gun:

https://www.mossberg.com/product/930-tactical-8-shot-85322/

It was taking forever for that gun to be available so I purchased an 18.5" 930 barrel and put it on my walnut stocked 930. I waited and waited, but the Tactical is still on backorder. Since I have the short 18.5" 930 barrel, I decided to cancel the Tactical and purchased the 930 All Purpose that has the synthetic stock:

https://www.mossberg.com/product/930-hunting-all-purpose-field-85127/

New York State limits auto-loading shotguns to a 7 rounds magazine. The Tactical has a 4 round magazine, but there is a workaround. I purchased a Choate +3 930 magazine extension:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2171172175?pid=190744

It took some messing around to get the rounds to feed right, but now is 100% reliable.

Shot the new 930 this morning without a hitch using field loads. It works perfectly and will be loaded with 00-buck for the house gun. It amazes me on how much a gas autoloader tames felt recoil.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
Looks like that will fill the bill nicely for a house gun.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 10:00:05 AM »
Richard, you must be one of those bad guys Bloomberg keeps yapping about.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"