Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Which would you like?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Which would you like?
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
These are some rifles I've seen recently for decent prices. Which would you like most as a shooter? If I got one I would want to cast bullets and reload. The .300 Savage is looking mighty attractive to me but I know nothing about reloading that caliber. Do you need jacketed bullets or can you get good results with cast?

Marlin Model 1936 in .32 Special

Winchester Model 94 in .32 Special

Winchester Model 94 in .30-30

Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Which would you like?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
It depends a lot on what you intend to use the rifle for.   I have a Savage 99 but it is in .243.   I also have '94 Winchester but not in the calibers you are interested in.    I do know that the Savage is capable of using pointed jacketed bullets whereas the other lever guns can only use flat nose bullets due to the tubular magazines.     The Savage 99 would probably  make a more versatile hunting rifle since you could use a bigger variety of bullet types.    I like the Savage loaded with ballistic tip bullets for coyotes  but would rather shoot the '94 Winchester for fun.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »
The Savage in .300 Savage caliber is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I sold mine last year. I still have the reloading dies and some brass.  I have my Dad's Win. 94, circa 1948, in 32 Win. Spl. And that is a smooth shooting rifle too.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:11:35 PM »
Hornady makes their "LeverEvolution"  plastic tip spire point bullets which are safe to use in lever actions with tubular magazines, which makes the Winchesters and Marlins shoot a little flatter.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:13:11 AM »
That's right Brad,   I had forgotten about those.   Since I cast bullets for all my rifles except the 99 I haven't paid any attention to them.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 06:54:53 AM »
It would have to be the Winchester 94 in .32 special for me. I already have one in 30-30. The Marlin and Savage don't excite me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 07:33:32 AM »
Hi Lonesome, IMO if you don't have a Winchester 94 in 30-30, that would be the way to go. Jacketed 30-30 bullets are readily available.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »
Hi Lonesome, IMO if you don't have a Winchester 94 in 30-30, that would be the way to go. Jacketed 30-30 bullets are readily available.

Regards,
Richard

Everybody needs a 30-30. Not having one should be against the law. :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 02:30:32 AM »
Hello Pigeon,

As Hawg said.

It sounds like they are all nice rifles, my first rifle was a Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage, I still have it.
The Model 94 is the best handling woods rifle in the world, I always carry mine on deer drives.
30-30 or 32 Special, I really doubt you will even notice a difference. Good topic for Campfire arguments.
The Marlin Model 1936 was only built in 1936, they switched to Model 36 in 1937 (little tidbit).
If I was 30 years younger, I'd pick all 4.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »
I think I am just frustrated because my Winchester 1894 .38-55 is still at the gunsmith. The Marlin and Winchester's were deals I found online but the Savage is local. Made in 1937 and it got that "used but not abused" look. Seasoned exterior but a nice shiny bore. It was hard to put it back down. If not for the hope of getting my .38-55 back I probably would have bought it. That and the thought that if I bought the Savage and it turned out to need work too I don't think I could handle it.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 10:15:09 PM »
These are some rifles I've seen recently for decent prices. Which would you like most as a shooter? If I got one I would want to cast bullets and reload. The .300 Savage is looking mighty attractive to me but I know nothing about reloading that caliber. Do you need jacketed bullets or can you get good results with cast?

Marlin Model 1936 in .32 Special

Winchester Model 94 in .32 Special

Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage.

Interesting question. I actually have 3 of those rifles already.  I do not have the Marlin.
My choice is, hands down, the Savage 99. I do not like the action of the '94. It is clunky and stiff, and both of my rifles were built in the Thirties so they are well broken in. In contrast, the action of the Savage 99 is as slick as...well, you know.
My example was built in 1924 and is a takedown. I like the cartridge counter and rotary magazine that takes Spitzer bullets as well.
I reload for all of my rifles, and the hardest brass to find is the Win32 special. I don't  like to use 30-30 cases for 32 Special because the ease of misidentification.
The only Winchester lever I really like is the 1886.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 12:14:28 PM »
I would take the Winchester Model 94 in .30-30. I already reload for .30-30 but not for the .32.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 05:39:24 AM »
I need the Savage...

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 08:49:07 AM »
the savage would be my choice hands down.. very cast bullet friendly, and makes an interesting thwap when that mass hits a animal at its lower speed... really wacks them.. of course things change if you are not going to hunt with it.
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..