Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Winchester Model 12  (Read 4005 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Model 12
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 04:49:33 PM »
I am a Rem 870 guy, and had to get used to the fact that the Model 12 fore-end had to actually be pushed forward to unlock the bolt from battery. One does not notice that when firing it because the recoil will do it if the shooter has firm purchase on the fore-end. It is really only noticeable if one racks a shell into the chamber and the tries to extract it.

It is a minor difference but it is there. Winchester stopped producing the Model 12 in 1964 because it could not compete, pricewise, with the Rem 870 (initially produced in 1950), which shared many parts with the 11-48, the Model 58 Sportsman, and the 1100 semiauto guns.

Richard, it is still a very good gun and you will like it.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
Hi, I bought the Winchester Model 12 today. To my surprise when I got home and tried to load dummy 12ga shells in the magazine, they wouldn't go. It turns out that my Model 12 is a 16ga shotgun, not 12ga. I had seen the 12 on the barrel and assumed that was the gauge, stupid me, it's the model. The gun's metal is still 85% and that's great for a 1923 manufactured shotgun. The wood is perfect with a nice figure and original finish. The barrel is 28" long, full choke. Even if I never shoot this shotgun, it will still be held in high regard as a piece of history. The only negative about this shotgun is that some fool had the receiver drilled and tapped to put on a scope. It was probably used for deer hunting. Some photos:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »
Looks great, Richard! You're getting one heck of a collection these days!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
Nothing wrong with a "Sweet Sixteen". Load up some shells and give her a workout.

Nice score Richard.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
stupid me

Been feeling like that a lot here lately. Nice score!!! (7&
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 02:10:52 AM »
If you can track down a 12ga barrel and mag tube, I have a bolt and lifter from a 12ga...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 05:34:29 AM »
Your gun very much reminds me of my Dad's 16 gauge before the stock/fore-end change. Before you shoot it, please check the chamber depth. If it has a 2-9/16" chamber, a 2-3/4" loaded shell WILL fit but there won't be enough room for the crimp to fully open when fired. A 1923 gun quite likely has the shorter chamber. Back then, even some 20 gauge shells were only 2-1/2" long.

I think you did well, even with the tapped receiver.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo