Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Suggestions for Selling 2nd Gen Colt's F-series  (Read 2702 times)

Offline RPK0620

• View Profile
Suggestions for Selling 2nd Gen Colt's F-series
« on: March 03, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »
I have been away from this forum due to various issues and have 3 Colt, 2nd generation, F-Series revolvers I would like to sell. I am having some difficulty trying to find out what they may be worth in the current market.  One is an unfired  1862 Pocket Police with the black box and original pamphlets, second is an unfired 1862 Pocket Navy in a wooden presentation case with flask, mold & tin of caps and the third is a fired 1860 Army that comes with the original black box & instruction manual.

I haven't taken pictures but can. Any suggestions on how to honestly value them would be appreciated.  Thank you, Bob
I thought, growing old would take longer !

I've spent most of my money on guns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Selling 2nd Gen Colt's F-series
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
  The best guide for prices is to look at completed actions on gunbroker.com for the same items in similar condition. Asking prices don't mean much as some guys ask a lot and their items never sell. The completed actions show what the guns actually sell for not just what people a ask.

The Colt 2nd Gens are generally common enough that to give top dollar a collector is going to want a flawless package. At least the guns and accessories should be flawless, the box and paperwork can probably be a bit worn. 

One other thing I can tell you is that proper labeling and high quality pictures seem to make a big difference in final price. I have gotten some really good deals because the pictures were bad and nobody else wanted to bid.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 04:12:48 PM »
I think LonesomePigeon spelled it perfectly.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline RPK0620

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »
Thank you, Bob
I thought, growing old would take longer !

I've spent most of my money on guns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
I think LonesomePigeon spelled it perfectly.

Me too.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce