Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Queen Ann pistol kit  (Read 11591 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Queen Ann pistol kit
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
The good thing is that the stock is quite small. Going through the lock parts only enhances the performance.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 06:37:52 AM »
Hi, the external parts of the lock have been nitre blued using a Lee 20lb lead pot. Narrowing of the springs comes next.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »
Looking great Richard. I love that bluing process! I may have to try it one day.....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »
Looking good, but I expected no less from you... (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 09:05:42 AM »
Hi Mick, niter bluing is an easy process to learn. You need a Lee lead pot for small parts and niter salts. If you find the Brownell's salts too expensive you can use stump remover:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GVYXKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need a lead thermometer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TQ8Y6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found that 600 Deg F works best. When I first started doing nitre bluing I wore safety glasses, hat, gloves, and face shield. Now experienced I only use a hat and safety glasses. You need to keep water far away from the hot salts. I degrease with acetone and let dry thoroughly before bluing. Iron wire is used to support the parts. A little ball of steelwool held by a needlenose pliers is used to cart the parts. Don't nitre blue springs or other hardened parts like the frizzen since it tempers the part. You can also harden steel parts by dunking the part in water after removing from the salt bath. This is a good video showing the process:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »
Richard...does it ruin the lead pot for future casting? Or, inversely, does a used lead pot contaminate the nitre bluing process?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »
Richard, as you are narrowing springs, take off a bit on the lock side of them. This reduces friction, making them faster acting.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
Richard...does it ruin the lead pot for future casting? Or, inversely, does a used lead pot contaminate the nitre bluing process?

Hi Kirk, you need a new pot dedicated to the nitre bluing. After the pot with salts cools down, a couple layers of saran wrap held on with a rubber band keeps the air moisture out of the hygroscopic salts between use.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 06:25:30 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Queen Ann Pistol lock has been completed. The mainspring, sear spring, and frizzen spring have all been ground down and the internal parts polished to where the lock is easy to operate and is as smooth as silk. I'll work on polishing the barrel next.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Hi, the Queen Ann barrel has been polished. I took a 1/2" aluminum rod and mounted it in my minilathe. The diameter of the rod was slightly over 0.500", the bore of the barrel. The rod was filed down until it fit tightly in the barrel bore. The barrel was rotated at moderate speed and using narrow strips of #320 grit wet/dry sandpaper with machine oil and the barrel was polished. A high polish wasn't desired in that I have learned that a high polish isn't especially desired with doing nitre bluing. With too high a polish on large objects, nitre bluing tends to be blotchy. The barrel was then given a coat of Ballistol to protect against rusting. That will give me some time before requiring to do the nitre bluing.

Other than bluing the barrel, sanding the stock comes next, yuck.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »
Looking good!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 02:53:13 PM »
Looks good as usual Richard.

I have to ask a question. I was under the impression that a Queen Ann pistol had a screw on barrel. That the lock plate, trigger plate and breech were all cast as a single unit, and the barrel was screwed on to facilitate loading. That's why there isn't a ramrod. This pistol seems to have none of those features, except the missing ramrod.

So what makes it a "Queen Ann"?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Dave, the original Queen Anne pistols were screw barrel and the Pedersoli is a Queen Anne "type" pistol, their interpretation! So yeah, you need to have your own loading/ram rod.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 05:11:11 PM »
Thanks Em! That's kinda what I figured, but I wasn't sure.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 06:46:04 AM »
Hi, the Queen Ann barrel was nitre blued at 600 Deg F on my kitchen stovetop. The bluing came out real nice and will darken some more in 24 hours after putting on Ballistol to cure the bluing.

Regards,
Richard