Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Lead free round balls  (Read 2743 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Lead free round balls
« on: April 19, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
Over in another thread, we got to talking about the impending lead ban here in Kommiefornia. This has me thinking about it a lot. I want to get back out in the field and hunt this year. Lead has already been banned for hunting here, so I'm looking at alternatives. There are a few companies that make copper ammo that is legal to use, but I sure don't want to shoot solid copper bullets in my cap n ball guns. I know that Bismuth is an alternative, so that leads me to this.

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-free-bullet-casting-alloy-bismuth-based/

That is a link to Rotometals. They are a big supplier of lead and other reloading materials. This link shows a product they make that is a lead substitute. It's legal to use here for muzzleloader hunting season. My question to you guys is, do you think it would be good to use to cast balls for our Colt cap n ball guns?

I'm just starting to look for solutions, because I fear they are going to ban lead altogether here. It's already on the table. It may just be easier to move the hell out of this damn commie state.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Lead free round balls
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »
I know nothing about the lead free alloy but faced with the same situation I may just go ahead and shoot lead projectiles until I get a citation or a warning.   At $14 per pound you would save enough to pay the ticket unless you get caught the first time or two.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
I thought about that too Mike. But for hunting, if they catch you, they could confiscate your gun and it's a huge fine. Don't know if I want to risk that.

For target shooting, I'm not sure how they will or can enforce it. Unless there's a deputy posted at the various ranges. I suppose they'll rely on us law abiding citizens to police ourselves.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 01:22:02 PM »
For hunting... yes absolutely have to comply but for plinking and targets,  even at the range I would risk it.   

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 03:42:01 PM »
Hello Dave,

Maybe you'd be better off immigrating to the U.S.A.
Oh wait, they closed all the borders.
$14 a pound seems pretty high to me.
Maybe you can come up with a sabot for the copper solid.

AntiqueSledMan.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:47:52 PM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
Hello Dave,

Maybe you'd be better off immigrating to the U.S.A.
Oh wait, they closed all the borders.
$14 a pound seems pretty high to me.
Maybe you can come up with a sabot for the copper solid.

AntiqueSledMan.

I wish that were in the cards ASM. But my wife's job and the kid's school will keep us here for a while.

The $14 a pound is a little high, but if it worked for casting balls I'd be willing to pay it. I'll have to buy Bismuth shot for my shotshells anyway. I'd also like to find a bullet I could use in my 44-40 rifle.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Is the lead ban applicable to muzzleloading firearms? Seems pretty stupid if so, as nothing but pure lead has been the only recommended projectile since before Sam Colt drew his first breath. That would be like banning gasoline.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
Is the lead ban applicable to muzzleloading firearms? Seems pretty stupid if so, as nothing but pure lead has been the only recommended projectile since before Sam Colt drew his first breath. That would be like banning gasoline.

Yessir. It includes muzzleloaders. Pretty damn stupid.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 07:22:09 PM »

Yessir. It includes muzzleloaders. Pretty damn stupid.

I have no words for this. Only letters. WTF?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
Dave, sabots would work for long-arms and single shot pistols, don't know how they would work in C&B revolvers.....chain fires, backing out under recoil, etc.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »
Hi Dave, I have used the Lee lead pot to cast bismuth for its diamagnetism in making magnetic levitation devices. It is harder than soft lead and wouldn't upset in a C&B bore like pure lead. Since most C&B cylinder chambers are smaller than the revolver bore, it would take reaming the chambers to have the bismuth ball larger than the bore for good accuracy. There's nothing like lead for firearm projectiles.

If you want to go expensive, you could use indium. Nice and soft and would upset in the bore.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion guys. Hopefully, it won't have to come to any of this. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get around a total lead ban.

We got word yesterday that, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, has overturned the draconian ammo law. We no longer have to pass a background check to buy ammo, and it can also come from out of state again. Maybe there's hope yet.
-Abe Lincoln