Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Engraved Stainless Steel Paterson  (Read 5398 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Engraved Stainless Steel Paterson
« on: April 23, 2020, 04:42:45 AM »
Hi, I noticed that GunBroker has an engraved stainless steel Pietta Paterson with extras on auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866196791

Never saw a stainless steel Paterson replica before.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Engraved Stainless Steel Paterson
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
Hi, I noticed that GunBroker has an engraved stainless steel Pietta Paterson with extras on auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866196791

Never saw a stainless steel Paterson replica before.

Regards,
Richard

Gonna bring a lot more than the opening bid!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »
Hi Kirk, I'm in with the first bid.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 11:08:12 AM »
Suspicious me.  I don't believe Pietta made a stainless Paterson.  More than likely engraved in the white with their "stainless Like" heat treated finish, same as the US Marshal model Navies and the current white finish.  I'd want a magnet test. would also want to know the Mfg date code.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:18:17 AM »
Hi Fingers, thanks for the reply. I will check with the seller about the date code and see if he will do a magnet test.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
I tell ya what, even if it's not stainless, this gun seems like a good buy to me. It comes with the mold, loading tool and 5 spout flask, which are all hard to find in their own right. The gun is at $650 right now, that seems like a steal!

The 5 spout flask by itself is worth about $300. There is one for sale on GB from a seller right here in the town I live in. He wants $375 for it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861551256
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:35 PM »
Ha! I just got an email notification that the seller updated the description. You guys got him to change his mind about it being stainless. Maybe that will scare away any other potential buyers.

I assume the only bid is yours Richard? I hope you get it!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:33 PM »
Hi Fingers, I got an email from the seller that the revolver isn't stainless steel. Thank you so much for helping me not getting into a bidding war. I'm not sure if I will retract my bid, got to think on it. I already have two blued Pietta Patersons.

The guy doesn't know how to read a date code. Told me the only code he could find was PN. lol

Gotta love the members of this message board. Thank you.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 02:10:22 PM »
Richard,

I know you have two other Patersons but I would not retract the bid (if that is even possible). Yeah, it is laser engraved but still very nice in my estimation, especially with the accoutrements. Still 4 more days until the end of the auction. As Dave pointed out, the powder flask alone is worth half of your(?) bid. Think about getting a nice fitted case for it and it would be worth quite a bit. To me, not a shooter but a closet queen.

I would bid on it with stimulus money but I have to think about saving nearly all of that because of extended family concerns during this pandemic.

If you can afford it, go for it.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
Richard, consider, if you will:

That Paterson wearing a brand new coat of nitre blue...and I know just the guy to do it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 04:08:21 AM »
Hi Kirk, remember a while back I tried to nitre blue a Pietta "Old Silver" 1851? That "Old Silver" finish didn't take the nitre bluing well.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,3056.msg35441.html#msg35441
https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,3056.msg35458.html#msg35458

If I end up winning this auction I will probably leave the revolver as is. Like most Paterson idiosyncrasies, the Paterson replicas are what they are.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »
Hi Kirk, remember a while back I tried to nitre blue a Pietta "Old Silver" 1851? That "Old Silver" finish didn't take the nitre bluing well.
Regards,
Richard

I do recall that. I was thinking for some reason that this Paterson was "in the white" rather than "Old Silver".

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 10:22:33 AM »
Hi Kirk, there is absolutely no information, only conjecture, on what the surface finish Pietta uses for their in-the-white (Old Silver) surface finish. Must be a trade secret, if they told me, they would have to kill me.  (jh

Irrespective of the valuable flask, I hope someone soon outbids me. I need another Pietta Paterson like a hole in the head. I could get the seller to have my bid removed since he originally misrepresented the revolver finish. However, I will see how this auction goes in time.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »
Richard,

At the price you've bid, you shouldn't lose anything even if you resell it in a few months after this virus stuff calms down.  You could part it out and make a few bucks now.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone jumped in with a last minute bid though. 

If you decide to keep it and make a case for it, you'll have a beautiful one of a kind set.

Reference Pietta's old silver or white steel finish.  A few years ago at a big CAS match, I asked Alessandro Pietta about the 'in-the-white' finish on the U.S. Marshal '51 Navies. He told me that it was a proprietary heat treating process that gives it a stainless like hardness and finish.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:02:21 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
Richard, go ahead and win the auction. You can keep all the accouterments and sell them to recoup about half of your money. And I'll trade you the Uberti stainless Navy for the Paterson pistol.

Just a thought.  :P
-Abe Lincoln