Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Percussion shotgun newbie  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Len

• View Profile
Percussion shotgun newbie
« on: April 24, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
I got hold of a Saxon double barreled shotgun, made about 1860. Mint condition. 18 bore and a 32" barrel length. After a total dismantling, cleaning and reassembly, I shot it today. Being cautious I loaded 30 grains and number 4 or 5 pellets. No problems.
Now I need some of your expert advice on BP amount, pellet size and total weight of pellets per load.
I was a bit surprised that the nipples were thin and long. Had expected four winged musket caps, but had to use 1075 caps that were a bit too big for the nipples, but when squeezed they worked all right.
Suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 01:07:10 PM by Len »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Percussion shotgun newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
Man Len, that gun is in phenomenally good shape for it's age. It looks beautiful!

I can't comment on the load data, I'll leave that for the experts. I just wanted to say how much I like that gun! Nice score!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
I have a Belgian double made around 1850 that doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours. I use 60 grains of powder with an equal amount of 7 1/2 shot by volume. If your shot pattern is too loose use less powder than shot. If you want to open it up use more powder than shot. My Pedersoli double gets 80 grains of powder and an equal amount of whatever shot I want to use by volume. I have used 100 grains of powder with a .690 ball but it's a little bit of a thumper.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:39:42 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks Hawg. I'll have to square that info out. The old measures are a handful to understand. Will certainly come up with more newbie questions on this matter. Hope you'll stick out.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Thanks Hawg. I'll have to square that info out. The old measures are a handful to understand. Will certainly come up with more newbie questions on this matter. Hope you'll stick out.

I've got nothing else to do lol
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
OK Hawg,
first you measure up the powder, then the pellets. Do you use the same spoon? I gather that the powder can be measured up in anything, but that the pellets could pack up a small phial and give a substantially smaller load than expected. Any suggestions on suitable size of the pellet spoon?

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
OK Hawg,
first you measure up the powder, then the pellets. Do you use the same spoon? I gather that the powder can be measured up in anything, but that the pellets could pack up a small phial and give a substantially smaller load than expected. Any suggestions on suitable size of the pellet spoon?

I use an old original powder/shot measure similar to this. I haven't unpacked my loading stuff since I moved and don't have a pic of mine. You can use pretty much anything that gives you the correct amount of shot and powder as long as it's not too small. I wouldn't use something like a rifle powder measure for shot. You could make something suitable out of an old 12 gauge shotgun shell.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:21:58 AM »
Dittos to what Hawg has said.  When I had a percussion 12 ga (15+ years ago)  I seem to recall that I loaded it with 55 grains of ffg, Circle fly over powder card, Circle fly 1/2 inch cushion wad, 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot, and a Circle fly over shot card. Hunting load was 70 gr of ffg.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
Thanks Hawg and Fingers, as numerous guys say over and over again, this is the place to get hard info from those in the know.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »
Len, great looking shotgun! When I was shooting mine, I just used the same measure/dipper for both powder and shot. I made a few dippers from empty brass cartridge cases (various calibers), cut down to hold the amount of powder I wanted. Then soldered a piece of wire on the base for a handle. For field loads you can use any tubular container to hold the powder and shot separately.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
I spent the day making a mold for something like #2 birdshot pellets. It's an aluminum thingie with seven cavities. After numerous adjustments I ended up with a passable mold. But, it's a slow way for getting a full load. Also made a pellet measure out of a 10 ml syringe tube. Sealed the bottom outlet and calibrated with BP. Out of some divine happening, the ml scale measures on the tube coincide with 1 ml equals 15 grains. Very useful. Also phoned a gun store specialized in BP stuff, to check out about availabilities etc. I'll be given a personal appointment time when no one else is allowed inside.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
If you can find an old metal colander with appropriate size holes you can melt lead into it and let the balls fall into antifreeze. They come out with little tails on them but they shoot well. You can also buy shot makers.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
If you can find an old metal colander with appropriate size holes you can melt lead into it and let the balls fall into antifreeze. They come out with little tails on them but they shoot well. You can also buy shot makers.
Thanks Hawg, you set me on the right track suggesting "shot makers", a thing I hadn't heard about. Found several reels on Youtube on how to make one. So I started experimenting. Today I got lead to drip thru a nozzle into water, resulting in drop-shaped shots. Next step is to fix a slope to make them drops roll before hitting the water (or rather anti-freeze). Pics will follow, if successful.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
There is a thread over on the CastBoolits forum about home-made shot makers.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
I got two immediate issues fixed today. Went for a two hrs drive to a specialized BP gun store. Had an appointment to be the only customer let in (ChiCom precaution). Got a couple of tins of RWS #55 caps, the longer ones, that fitted the nipples of my Saxon DB 18 gauge shotgun. Seems this type of caps are out of production now, but the owner had some left overs that he kindly offered me. Good guy. Also got his last batch of 6 lbs  #7 bird shot pellets. Having secured that, I was in my stride, and got some agate stones for the flinters, Swiss 2Fg and 3Fg. Also found a Lee 18-balls mold for #4 buck shots and to round it all up, a nice set of Grace screwdrivers, rather expensive, but what the heck, no more ChiCom cheap stuff any more. So, all in all a good day. The rest of the week will be spent loading and shooting.