Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dad's old SxS  (Read 2872 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Dad's old SxS
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »
My Step Dad gave me this gun several years ago, as a wall hanger. His Dad had bought the gun new back in 1949. His Dad used to grow grapes commercially and had a lot of acreage. Every Sunday, he and his Dad would take the gun out to the fields and hunt rabbits, quail and the occasional pheasant. The gun saw hard use.

It's a J. Stevens/Springfield Model 5100 SxS. It is 12ga with 2 3/4 chambers and 28" barrels. It does have the ugly "Tenite" stocks, which is a nylon type material. It does kinda look like wood with it's brown and black swirls. Like I said, it had been relagated to wall hanger status, because it was badly off face. And the reason it was is because the top latch on the barrel was cracked. It wouldn't lock up tight anymore. So my Dad hung it up.

I've been on the hunt for a set of barrels for it for a few years, but couldn't ever find any. When I did, there was something not the same about them so I didn't chance buying them. Until last week. I saw a set on eBay and studied the pictures against my gun. It looked like a perfect match to me. So I took a chance and bid $100. And I won. They arrived today, and literally went right on the gun! Perfect fit!

Now I can put my Dad's gun back in the field where it belongs. With any luck, it will bag some quail this year. Sorry for being so long winded. Here's the pictures.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dad's old SxS
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »
Cool beans!! Glad you got it going again.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:25:47 PM »
Glad you could fix it. There's more than just a gun in that piece (according to your long winded story  L@. L@.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

You said it Len. I showed it to my Dad yesterday via FaceTime. He got all teary eyed, and told me the whole story of the gun. That made it all worth while.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 01:11:53 PM »
Now, it's more than ever important to knit the generations together. Mustn't lose the connections.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »
Now, it's more than ever important to knit the generations together. Mustn't lose the connections.

I agree 100%
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
Nice job of staying with the old gun and finding a replacement barrel.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 04:51:59 PM »
Looks real good.  A double SxS is an institution; ingrained in our psyches.  Other than land I don't know of anything that gets passed down and valued as a family-associated item as a gun. The fortuity of finally finding that correct barrel just now shows that you’ve been livin right.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
You GO, Dave! Good on ya for bringin' a tear to the old man's eye. (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 06:02:12 AM »
not to Frey, TENITE STOCKS are very collectible. people used to PUKE ON THEM. not so anymore.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »
not to Frey, TENITE STOCKS are very collectible. people used to PUKE ON THEM. not so anymore.

They are? I don't know why they would be. They're really kinda ugly.  (7+"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 09:36:03 PM »

They also get brittle with age. I have a 20 gauge 5100 that had a tenite stock on it when I got it. It doesn't have it anymore.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 06:16:47 AM »
ShotgunDave, it is a thing called RETRO!! know what that is? well it is anything that is / was old, now is the NEW. how many people keep them on there guns and didn't swap them out? so don't fret. a I have a SAVAGE MODMO, 24 with one. and remember that The REMINGTON Co. made two modals with a BLACK ONE and a CHOCOLATE ONE on them. and as for brittle with age, you just wait. ask me how I know?

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
You need some browning!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »

They also get brittle with age. I have a 20 gauge 5100 that had a tenite stock on it when I got it. It doesn't have it anymore.

I'm actually a little worried about the brittleness myself Hawg. I've always wanted to put nice walnut stocks on it. Where did you get yours from?

ShotgunDave, it is a thing called RETRO!! know what that is? well it is anything that is / was old, now is the NEW. how many people keep them on there guns and didn't swap them out? so don't fret. a I have a SAVAGE MODMO, 24 with one. and remember that The REMINGTON Co. made two modals with a BLACK ONE and a CHOCOLATE ONE on them. and as for brittle with age, you just wait. ask me how I know?

Oh yes toot, I know all about Retro! I had another Tenite stocked gun for a long time. It was a .22 rifle called the "Nylon 66" by Remington. I forget what I did with that rifle.

" brittle with age "

No doubt toot!!! I am not even that old yet and my body is already brittle. Too many years working hard out in the weather and far too many injuries. My body is full of rust with a pitted bore and a lot of finish has been worn off  *6'

Uh huh, me too. Sometimes I feel brittle enough to break!
-Abe Lincoln