Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ruger Old Army  (Read 3621 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Ruger Old Army
« on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »
I don't own one, but I found these photos on another forum. Very interesting project that someone undertook. Comments?

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Ruger Old Army
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »
Comments?

Good Lord!  Whot?

If those OA's handled worth a damn they'd be pretty cool guns.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
All I can say is to ask why?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
I don't understand. Why has the cylinder been basically cut in half? I get the other mods, purely aesthetic. But the cylinder has me scratching my head.

Once upon a time, I owned a ROA. It was from the 70's. It had the standard length barrel and of course the adjustable target sights. I hated the thing, and for much the same reason I don't care for Remmies. And now, they are at least twice as expensive as our Italian guns, if not more. I've seen them selling for $1000. Funny thing is, back in the 80's when I got mine, they were cheap because no one wanted them. Hell, Ruger even quit making them.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 04:32:52 PM »
I don't understand. Why has the cylinder been basically cut in half? I get the other mods, purely aesthetic. But the cylinder has me scratching my head.

My guess is somebody really likes mouse fart loads.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 04:42:26 PM »

My guess is somebody really likes mouse fart loads.

Right?

Maybe it's a high end gallery gun now?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »
Don't have to destroy a nice gun just to get some mouse farts.  There are better and easier ways to get those if that's what a guy is into.  I just don't understand the thinking behind that modification.  It's a mystery.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »
Don't have to destroy a nice gun just to get some mouse farts.  There are better and easier ways to get those if that's what a guy is into.  I just don't understand the thinking behind that modification.  It's a mystery.

My guess is competition paper punching. At least it was just a Ruger and they didn't butcher a Colt or a Remington

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
I waited to see all of your observations. I believe it was created by someone wanting a light hammer (for whatever reason) and was created for a certain SASS shooting event, possibly on horseback for whatever events they hold. I am not a SASS member and never will be because I think those wannabe cowboys are in a universe all to themselves.

I still think it is a work of art to create such an anomaly, and it appears to be well done. I am looking at the craftsmanship and not the reason why.

I want to use a shortened Pietta Pepperbox cylinder and modify a Pietta 1851 Navy barrel lug/forcing cone to create a anomalous long cylinder Pietta 1851 Navy .36 Dragoon. It will look very strange, won't be historical, but it will most likely be one of a kind. Just have to come up with the money, the cylinder, and someone to do it. Gary is amenable to doing it http://www.cartridgeconversion.com/ but I still have to come up with a revolver and a cylinder for the project, and the money as it won't be cheap.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 06:13:45 PM »
Yep, it’s a well done job.  Nothing ‘bubba’ about it.  That hammer is nicely tricked.  Still though, a ROA would be about my last choice for mounted shooting.  Gotta have a plow handle 1860 to do that with any degree of style.

I am not a SASS member and never will be because I think those wannabe cowboys are in a universe all to themselves.

Regards,

Jim

I couldn't agree more … and here I thought it was just me. 
Tricks and LARP'n are for kids.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
I was a SASS member for awhile and they do have their elitist snobs but by and large they're some of the friendliest and most helpful guys in any shooting event. I don't like the way they do a lot of things and some of the rules about what kind of guns can be used are a little ridiculous and contradictory. SASS would never allow that to be used in any category.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:51:00 PM by Hawg »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »
Comments? It is his gun, that is what he wanted to do, and he (or someone) did a good job. Turned the cylinder down, turned the barrel and threaded and timed it, relocated the loading lever latch, etc. The ROA might not be a true representation of any PC gun, but I sure like to shoot mine.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 02:25:58 AM »
Hey Guys,

Here's another one which blew me away,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?398531-Custom-old-army

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 03:57:31 AM »
Erm.....................NO !

That cylinder is wrong on so many levels !

Here's mine, this is what it SHOULD look like. I recently paid 400€ for it.

But that .50 cal gun................WOW !

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 11:39:38 AM »
I have seen that 50 caliber ROA before. Seems it cost almost $2000 to do just the work plus the gun.