Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Snider-Enfield  (Read 2005 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Snider-Enfield
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:59:35 AM »
Hi, while waiting for my Traditions 1853 Enfield rifle to arrive, I have been doing some reading on the 1853 and subsequent cartridge conversion, the Snider-Enfield. I see that GunBroker has some reasonably priced Snider-Enfields for sale. Does anyone here own a Snider-Enfield that can tell me something about their experience with it?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Snider-Enfield
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »
Richard, over the years I had 2 Snider-Enfields. These were the cut-down guns converted to 12 gauge shotgun, so-called Zulu guns that were traded to African natives. Unfortunately, at that time I didn't have any brass shells to load and I didn't want to shoot any modern loads, sold them off. I have one now that needs work/parts so have not shot it either. I know, not much help!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
I almost bought a French Tabatiere that was converted to shotgun with a Snider conversion but they wanted 169.00 for it and I just couldn't see it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »
Hey Guys,

What holds the Breech/Firing Pin Assy. shut?
Looks like it could fly open to me.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »
Hey Guys,

What holds the Breech/Firing Pin Assy. shut?
Looks like it could fly open to me.

AntiqueSledMan.

A detent.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:10:56 AM »
I shoot cut down plastic 12 gauge hulls, loaded with BP, with no problem. I have a ZULU  and an 1871, converted to 12 gauge & do the same with it. they are a blast, pun intended!