General Black Powder > Gun Builds and Projects

A "gripping" project

(1/3) > >>

ShotgunDave:
I don't go in for BBQ guns too much, but I do like different grips than just standard wood sometimes. So I was looking for a project today, and decided to give this a try.

You guys know that I made molds and cast some faux ivory grips from urethane resin. They're a reasonable facsimile of real ones, at least as good as some I've seen for sale. Well I have always wanted a a set of jigged bone grips, so I used a pair of my faux ivory ones and got busy carving. I think they look pretty good. At least they kept my brain and hands busy for the day anyway.

I even duplicated the "pithy" look to the center of the material.

They probably won't stay on the gun forever, but for now I like them and they kept me busy for the day.

I know most of you fellas are dyed in the wool wood fans, and these won't really appeal to you. But for a little change once in a while, I like to switch them up.

mazo kid:
Yeah, I like wood grips, but I have made a couple sets from "ivory" sheet. I think they were for making knife scales. I thought I paid too much for them several years ago, but I don't know if they even make 5 X 10" slabs anymore.

Hawg:
I like wood but my 73 Uberti wears a set of imitation stag. I like them even if they're not historically correct.

My 1911 even wears rubber. :o :o :o

ShotgunDave:
Love the stag Hawg. And those Pacmyer grips are my all time favorite for a 1911.

Hawg:

--- Quote from: ShotgunDave on May 08, 2020, 01:15:34 PM ---Love the stag Hawg. And those Pacmyer grips are my all time favorite for a 1911.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Those Pachmayrs were wraparound with a checkered front strap but they made it feel too fat. I have a nice set of cocobola double diamond grips that felt really good but Rock Islands parkerizing isn't pretty and they kinda looked like lipstick on a pig so I cut the front strap off and I like the way it looks and feels now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version