Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Just got my first colt cap and ball  (Read 5411 times)

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my first colt cap and ball
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »
Seems like most people want to dump as much lead downrange as they can. I like cartridge guns too and I love going out with .22's and just having fun without the slow reloads of black powder or having to chase brass for reloading. I also like the slow pace of shooting bp whether it be revolvers or single shot front stuffers. I talked to a guy the other day and he said when it dries up he will doze off a piece of family property for free so maybe before long I'll have a convenient place to shoot at least til it grows back over. I haven't popped a cap in going on two years and I'm getting antsy. :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Russell13

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
Just made my first batch of patches. Im normally just going to buy them but the ones I ordered won’t be here on time and no store around me sells them. They’re a 50/50 mix of Crisco and bees wax. They came out ok. We will see how they work on Tuesday

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2020, 06:05:58 PM »
I think you meant wads. Home-made ones work as well as commercial ones. We have a free shooting range about 45 minutes away; it was designed by an Eagle Scout as his project and funded by the local shooting club. It has covered firing lines where before there was just open areas. It is always fun to shoot the black powder guns when there is just the sharp crack of semi auto pistols. The loud BOOM generates a lot of comment.

Offline Russell13

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
Look what showed up on my door step

Offline Russell13

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 04:32:41 PM »
So here is my opinion colt vs Remington

The main spring feels so much nicer on the colt. Pulling back the hammer is smooth and easy. I think I’m going to look into changing the main spring in the Remington. Th action just feel so much smoother on the colt

The feel of holding the gun in your hand also goes to the colt. Has a nicer balance then the Rem

Sights goes to the Remington. The taller aight and grove in the back as much easier to focus your eyes on then the colts tiny sight

It’s easier to get the cylinder out of the Remington but I think basic cleaning is easier on the colt because you can remove the barrel

Looks....... I think both guns are beautiful but I’m gonna go with the colt on this one. It’s just so iconic and you feel like a cowboy when you’re holding it.

If someone were to ask me what one to get as a first BP gun I would lean towards the colt.

The o my worry I have is caps getting stuck in the action. We will see how that goes when I take it shooting. I think I’m gonna go out tomorrow

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
Actually shooting them on a few occasions is a good basis for forming opinions on the merits of each. 

Did you loosen the mainspring screw a little to lighten the mainspring tension on the Remington?  Sometimes that helps.

Congratulations on your new guns.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Russell13

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
Actually shooting them on a few occasions is a good basis for forming opinions on the merits of each. 

Did you loosen the mainspring screw a little to lighten the mainspring tension on the Remington?  Sometimes that helps.

Congratulations on your new guns.
I’ve tried it with the screw completely out and it still very heavy. I’m going to look into getting a lighter one

Offline Russell13

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »
Just sent an email to VTI gun parts to see if the have a lighter main spring. There are two kinds are there website

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
Just sent an email to VTI gun parts to see if the have a lighter main spring. There are two kinds are there website

Colt SAA springs are supposed to work.  https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainsprings/saa-cowboy-action-springs-prod16557.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Uberti
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
If you’re going to have a habit, it might as well be a healthy habit...and the Navy’s a joy to shoot...

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
As long as you are ordering another mainspring anyway.....why not practice lightening the original one? Grind it carefully, slowly, along the mid-upper sides, grinding lengthwise.  Some people slot the spring arm; the ones I ordered from Brownell are like that. Just a couple of options, get to know your gun better.