Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1911 Officer model by Girsan  (Read 4541 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Officer model by Girsan
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 03:46:32 AM »
Hi Mike, sounds like you got a good 1911. That little P10-45 I own is a replacement for my original purchase that wouldn't cycle two rounds in a row. The replacement P10-45 is now pretty reliable with hardball.

BTW, there's nothing more intimidating than the large bore opening of a .45.

If your 1911 is a true officer size, you may want to consider getting laser grips for it. What's nice about the laser grips is that you can accurately shoot from any position or hand.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:37 AM »
Thanks for that advice Richard.  Laser grips are an option that hadn't crossed my mind,  I'm going to check into it.    The sights on this thing look good but won't adjust far enough as is.    They are also hard to see.     I can make these sights work but it may be easier to change them out.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »
Lasers aren't very good during bright sunlight. Green is more visible than red but cost almost twice as much.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 05:55:30 PM »
I was not a fan of lasers on handguns for a long time, but the 5 shot revo in my pocket has one.  To me it makes sense on these small guns. Its also useful for dry fire; really lets you know how good (or bad) you double action stroke is.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
I did not shoot the 1911 today.  Wind was blowing 40 to 60 mph.   Going to try to put another 150 rounds through it tomorrow or Thursday.

I may have a laser sight on a gun that doesn't exist.   If the gun did exist the laser could be changed from red to green.   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 07:36:20 AM »
Lasers aren't very good during bright sunlight. Green is more visible than red but cost almost twice as much.

Hi Hawg, I believe that the green laser uses a lot more battery power than the red laser. My Crimson Trace red laser batteries last a number of years with regular gun use. Since the red laser batteries last a long time the grips don't have to come off often. That keeps the bullet POI aligned with the laser. Even though there is good grip registration to the frame, sometimes the laser after changing batteries shifts off the POI where shooting is required to realign the laser back to the POI.

I have five handguns fitted with red laser Crimson Trace grips.

If you need to shoot while driving, or in an awkward position the laser sights are worth their weight in gold.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:02:30 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »
I have a red Crimson Trace trigger guard laser on my SIG P238, like it a lot. It really is good for hand-eye co-ordination without actual sighting. Instinctual sighting. I do have night sights, but the laser is really quick.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
Hi Emery, I many times do practice shooting from my hip using the laser sight. That lets me protect the gun better than holding it out front of me, especially at my age. One needs to change their pistol mindset when using the laser sights, but that mindset change can save one's life. Thank God that I have never been tested.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
Some times when I am going to bed, I will draw the SIG and squeeze off a "round" or 2 at the bathroom door knob just using the laser. Most of the time I am very close. I don't carry with a round in the chamber when I am home as a rule.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 05:23:26 PM by mazo kid »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 02:25:31 PM »
Our betters & masters here in Calistan (may Allah shit in their beards or whatevers) have forbidden us the use or possession of laser sights.  Being an ever-compliant obedient citizen then, I don’t own that system.  The iron sights on my Combat Commander (1973) work just fine.  Been CC’n that thang since I was barely out of knickers. It’s never had its picture taken and so all the much better for it never having happened.

At night I just point and click - was good enough for government work and it still is.  Carried a Sig Sauer for awhile (about 60 days) but I soon missed that Colt being where it was supposed to be. 

Colt’s are pretty much best at everything and in the olden days of the seventies a working boy could actually afford one.

Eldest son is getting a Rock Island like the ones above.  He has my blessing upon it.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle