Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1911 Officer model by Girsan  (Read 4567 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
1911 Officer model by Girsan
« on: June 06, 2020, 07:57:35 PM »
I picked this 1911 Officer model up to keep in the truck and take on road trips.   I've wanted a compact 1911 for a while and with the current social climate (Corona virus, social unrest, unemployment, etc.) I figured now was the time to get a dependable pistol to keep handy.    The pistol is made by Girsan and imported by EAA.   It came stock with an extended Beavertail safety, ambi-safety switch, and adjustable sights.   Reviews are pretty good online so I hope it holds up.    I had to trade in one of my revolvers to afford it but I think this will be more practical and I never used the revolver much anyway.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: 1911 Officer model by Girsan
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:07:00 PM »
Nice looking 1911 Mike, I hope it functions as good as it looks!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:00:05 PM »
It looks good.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 09:06:50 PM »
I looked at a Rock Island Armory  Fat Boy model but I just couldn't deal with the grip size.  Very short and fat like the name suggests.   The prices were comparable.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 09:30:07 PM »
I looked at a Rock Island Armory  Fat Boy model but I just couldn't deal with the grip size.  Very short and fat like the name suggests.   The prices were comparable.

I don't think RIA makes a fat boy but ATI does. RIA makes a CS tactical for around 500.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 04:19:42 AM »
Nice looking 1911 Mike, I hope it functions as good as it looks!

Hi Emery, I agree. It looks great, but how does it function. Reliability of 1911s is all over the place. The smaller the 1911, the more potential feeding and extraction issues. At least 200 rounds of the .45 ACP intended for carry use should be put through the carry 1911 to break it in and ensure reliability. Even with my now reliable 1911s, I still prefer a small .38 Special revolver for carry, 5 shots for sure.

I wish Mike good luck with his new 1911.

A photo of my 1911s, top two have laser grips:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:37:57 AM »
At least 200 rounds of the .45 ACP intended for carry use should be put through the carry 1911 to break it in and ensure reliability.

Regards,
Richard

I intend to do just that tomorrow Richard.    I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »
Hi Mike, I have been around the 1911 reliability horn many times before. 98-99% reliability isn't sufficient, for personal defense carry, you need to have reliability 100%. Every 1911 I have owned (owned many, even Colt Gold Cups) all were only 98% reliable using hollowpoint ammo, and that's with a lot of work polishing the ramp, quality magazines, etc.. Most of my experience with the 1911 using hardball had the 1911 eventually become 100% reliable. If I carried the 1911 for defense, I would only use hardball to ensure reliability. Any .45 ACP makes a big bleed out hole, even hardball.

Use this information as you will.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »
Thanks Richard,
I understand your point completely and I appreciate that you are concerned. 

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »
My Rock Island FS Tactical has been extremely reliable. RIA has a break in period of 500 rounds but my round count is way more than that. When I first got it in 2011 I put several different kinds of ammo through it including my own home cast 230 grain SWC's. It didn't care what I ran through it. I have not had one single failure with it, break in period be damned. It will even feed empty cases out of the mags. I did swap out the ACT mag it came with for CMC Shooting Stars. Now all it gets is my home cast SWC"S. That may change the next time I pull the trigger but I seriously doubt it. I have heard of some feeding issues with Commander sized guns tho.

This is an old pic. I have since cut the wraparound part of the grips off. It made it feel too bulky. I like it much better now.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »
Nice looking piece Mike. I've always had a soft spot for the Officer's Model.

I had a Springfield Armory stainless Officer's a while back, I miss that pistol. Now you're making me want another one.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
When the XEs came out, I really liked the concept, but never pursued the purchase. Hawg, does cutting the front wrap-around affect control much? I might consider doing that to mine, although I have large hands.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
Hawg, does cutting the front wrap-around affect control much? I might consider doing that to mine, although I have large hands.

I can't say it affected control but it did make it feel a lot better. The front strap made it feel too bulky.

Here it is with it cut off.

And with a set of Cocobolo grips. Ordinarily I prefer wood grips but the Pachmayrs look better with the parkerizing and they feel pretty good too.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »
Put 130 rounds of Blazer 230 gr. FMJ  through the new Girsan 1911.   No hiccups whatsoever as far as function goes.    The adjustable sight sucks though.   I'm going to have to decide what to do about it.     
I now have a place to shoot for the time being,  maybe even permanently.   Only about 40 yards long but it's great for hand guns.   Only a twenty minute drive and it's free and private.   I plan to shoot the 1911 more tomorrow.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
I don't think RIA makes a fat boy but ATI does. RIA makes a CS tactical for around 500.

You're probably right Hawg,  the tag on the trigger guard said RIA but after grabing it I put it down right away and didn't pay any more attention to it.