Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: From the "what did I buy now?" Files  (Read 2560 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
From the "what did I buy now?" Files
« on: June 11, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »
I picked up 3 revolvers today.

A Smith and Wesson 10-5 with a 6" barrel (top) 38spl

A Colt police positive? In 38spl (middle)

Iver Johnson cadet in 38 s&w (bottom)

The grips on the Colt won't tighten up. I'm looking for the correct set but can't figure out of it's a police positive special or a police positive. Apparently there is a difference. Anyone know what I got here? It says "police dep't" on the back strap... That all I know on this one.

Anyone have an idea of the values of these, they are in very good condition with almost no bluing loss or wear.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:20:47 PM by BOOMSTICK BRUCE »
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: From the "what did I buy now?" Files
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »
The only differences between the police positive and the special is the special has a longer cylinder and a stronger frame. Does the frame still have locater pins?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:08 AM »
Here's some better pics. I'm headed out the door to go on a weekend vacation right now so that's the best I can do until Sunday
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 10:16:03 AM »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 11:13:51 AM »
That book would be helpful, but I find that a lot of the values fluctuate from the book depending on area and the market. I would say that probably now the market is high.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
I don't have bluebooks anymore but when I did the prices were almost always off from real world prices plus people tend to not correctly grade their guns when they quote bluebook prices.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
I usually go by what things sell for on GunBroker. I figure if someone pays $xxx plus $xx for shipping plus another $25 for FFL transfer that the actual value is those totalled up. I'll usually watch 3 or more before I post something.

Well I sell here, I usually ask for what I have into it, GunBroker is whatever the market shows.

As you guys know, I describe every gun I sell right down to the littlest scratch so when someone gets it, it is better than I described.
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 04:19:44 AM »
I don't have bluebooks anymore but when I did the prices were almost always off from real world prices plus people tend to not correctly grade their guns when they quote bluebook prices.

Or deliberately abused.  I was walking around a gunshow once trying to unload a semiauto pistol I didn't have much use for, and an old boy says "whadda ya got?"  I showed him and the sharpie proceeds to pull out his Blubook, finds the model and says "60% is worth xyz.  Since I've gotta make a few bucks, I'll give you a few less."  The gun had been fired 50 rounds, cleaned, and put back in the box.  I politely declined his offer.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »

Or deliberately abused.  I was walking around a gunshow once trying to unload a semiauto pistol I didn't have much use for, and an old boy says "whadda ya got?"  I showed him and the sharpie proceeds to pull out his Blubook, finds the model and says "60% is worth xyz.  Since I've gotta make a few bucks, I'll give you a few less."  The gun had been fired 50 rounds, cleaned, and put back in the box.  I politely declined his offer.

Yeah, I've bought a few guns from guys walking around trying to sell them to gun show vendors. Most of the vendors use my dads philosophy of if it's mine it's worth a mint. If it's yours it ain't worth shit.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
hawg, what are the "locator pins"? the ser# is 2684**. i think it was an AACO (Anne Arundel county md) police gun, the guy my dad got it from used to work for AACOPD, he passed away a few years ago so the guns history is lost with him. as you can see in the pics it says "police dep't" on the back strap but it looks like what dept it was for was removed and the whole gun was parkerized.

any idea as to what the original grips may have looked like? i want to replace these ugly plastic pearl grips but dont know what set is correct. i have no intentions of selling this gun, he was a very close family friend, my dad was his sons godfather and the son was a close friend of mine (he died in the line of duty before his dad passed) so i feel this gun needs to stay within the family. when i die, just like most of my collection, it will be donated to the NRA museum.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:22:44 PM by BOOMSTICK BRUCE »
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
The pins on the inside of the grip frame that keep the grips from slipping. These are police positive special grips. Yours is a positive special made in 1922. The police positive went out of production at serial number 159000.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
got them!!!!
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!