Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Imagine...  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Imagine...
« on: July 17, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
Imagine this; I've mentioned in the review of my Pietta Starr SA that the design is sort of a one-off curiosity, and that the coolest thing about the design is that it's a break-top like the S&W Schofield. Yes, that is mondo-cool, alrighty...but also as I mentioned in my review of it, it really doesn't buy you anything. The thumb screw is a fine-threaded screw and takes a number of turns to loosen it. Once you do, it comes free of the gun. Bottom line, if you dropped it in the heat of battle, might as well chuck the gun. It's useless. From what I can see, it's design purpose was to allow quick disassembly and easy access for cleaning. Even if spare cylinders were available, you can swap cylinders on a non-fouled Remmy faster.
But, just suppose...Ebenezer Starr had the foresight and ability to replace the thumbscrew with a captive, spring loaded camloc-style 1/4 turn fastener with a folding wingnut grip? :o
And sell this gun with two extra cylinders? The wingnut, folded, would impose no interference (and if it broke off, there could be a screw slot on the end of the stud for removal), and would allow the action to break and flip down in mere seconds. A new loaded cylinder could be inserted in three shakes of a lamb's tail and...game changer. 18 shots at the ready. Naturally there would be some risk in carrying loaded and capped cylinders (would have to be protected against accidental discharge in some manner) but think about the implications! (@+
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Imagine...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 04:26:08 PM »
When I got my Starr's, I removed the screw and broke one gun open. A good thing it was in my lap because as soon as I opened it the cylinder dropped out! I wasn't expecting that. So yeah, if you broke the gun open in battle, the cylinder could very easily be dropped. And it does take 2 hands to put it back together.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:34 PM »
It might have started a trend. *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
Ya think?! L@J

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:26:42 PM »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »
I remember reading about a civil war raider who carried a sack of cylinders for his navy colt and used a stick in place of a wedge. Think of it as a six inch wedge for rapid replacing the cylinders. Would make holstering bitch but he probably had a regular wedge for that
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com