Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My First Antique - 1884 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
My First Antique - 1884 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »
She arrived earlier this week - 1884 model with 1889 mfg cartouche with Buffington sight - in beautiful shape including bore - everything is right and tight.

Loaded some BP cartridges yesterday so I could take her to the range today , I think I'm in love.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: My First Antique - 1884 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
Wow Retreever, that is a gorgeous rifle!!

Someday I will have a Trapdoor. I just love them.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I don't know why but I have never had the opportunity to get a Trapdoor rifle.   I've always kept my eye out but never found one I really wanted.  Good for you picking up a nice one to play with.    45-70 is a fun cartridge to load and shoot.   

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
My rant here for the day:

In 1965 my paternal Grandfather from Detroit died. He had a wet bar in his basement all done up in knotty pine. He displayed pretty much all of his guns on the walls of his bar. Dad and two uncles wanted to divvy up what he had, so the day after the funeral he went to Grandma's place to gather them up. My Grandma hated guns and my Dad found all of them in a trash can in the alley behind the house, which he promptly rescued. One was an original 1873 Trapdoor complete with bayonet. I was a 13-year-old kid so I don't recall the particulars of the rifle. That Fall he and a friend went up to Northern Michigan with me in tow. They tied the rifle securely to a tree and loaded it with an OTC .45-70 cartridge, tied a long string to the trigger, and shot it. When it didn't blow up, they repeated the process a couple more times. I guess that satisfied Dad, so (true to form for a 60's home "restorer"), my Dad proceeded to strip all of the wood and refinish it, and also "cleaned up" all of the bluing/browning on the steel surfaces. The Herter's Catalog was my Dad's bible for doing such things.  The final product was so "pretty" that he never shot it again and it hung on the wall in the living room for as long as I can remember. As an aside, he did the same thing with an 1894 Winchester .25-35 26" octagonal barrel (SN from 1919) and I remember him complaining about how much oil was in the wood and how long it took him to dry it all out before he could apply some kind of shiny finish to it. Thankfully he left the metal alone. He did worse with a Marlin Model 39 .22 octagonal barrel (1928: an "S" SN prefix meaning it should not be fired with Hi-Speed ammo; in 1932 Marlin designated rifles that could handle Hi-Speed ammo with the HS SN prefix) by buffing/polishing the receiver and the fore-end cap and left them in the white. I inherited both prior to his death in 2010, but they were both just shooters and not collector material. He did the same with a Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm rifle because he could not abide by the red stain on the Japanese hardwood. Thankfully, the two Fox Sterlingworth SXS shotguns he found (12 & 20 gauge) and brought home did not suffer the same fate. The Winchester Model 12 16 gauge full choke (1932) he inherited (won by my Grandfather in some sort of pin board lottery back in the day) he restocked in birdseye maple and reblued using Herter's Belgian Blue (sort of a rust bluing using a long hot water tank and several applications, steel wooled between applications), and I think it took at least 10 applications. And I helped in 1970! The finished shotgun was really beautiful but no collector value. It was a shooter.

I guess that was the mindset at the time.

Sorry to be so wordy and off-topic.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 05:00:39 PM »
Nice looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I lucked up on an original 1884 carbine at a gun show back in the 90's. Dude had it marked at 550 with a broken mainspring.  I had 400 bucks in my pocket. Anyway the dude that owned it wasn't at his booth and the guy there couldn't make any deals. I walked around and found a Colt 70 series 1911 for 400 and almost bought it but I really wanted that trapdoor. Dude finally got back and I asked him would he take 300 for it in an attempt to get him down to 400. Well he started in on about how much he gave for it and how long he had it yada, yada, yada  and I knew I was going home with the 1911 so I figured I might as well piss him off first so I said I don't care how long you've had it or how much you gave for it all I wanna know is will you take 300 for it. He gave me a look that said he couldn't believe I said that and just as I started to walk away he held out his hand and said yeah I'll take 300. (7+" (7&
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »
Nice looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I lucked up on an original 1884 carbine at a gun show back in the 90's. Dude had it marked at 550 with a broken mainspring.  I had 400 bucks in my pocket. Anyway the dude that owned it wasn't at his booth and the guy there couldn't make any deals. I walked around and found a Colt 70 series 1911 for 400 and almost bought it but I really wanted that trapdoor. Dude finally got back and I asked him would he take 300 for it in an attempt to get him down to 400. Well he started in on about how much he gave for it and how long he had it yada, yada, yada  and I knew I was going home with the 1911 so I figured I might as well piss him off first so I said I don't care how long you've had it or how much you gave for it all I wanna know is will you take 300 for it. He gave me a look that said he couldn't believe I said that and just as I started to walk away he held out his hand and said yeah I'll take 300. (7+" (7&

Had  it out for first time today and it shot really nice. I have to study up on the Buffington sight.

Retreever

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 05:37:34 PM »
Scroll down a little ways and you'll find directions on how to use the sight. https://www.trapdoorcollector.com//shooterstext.html
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
An 1884 Trapdoor is hanging in my gun Room.  I havent shot it in 10 years or more, still have the BP rounds I loaded for it even longer ago.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 05:38:09 AM »
Wow Retreever, that is a gorgeous rifle!!

Someday I will have a Trapdoor. I just love them.

There are some coming up on this auction sight https://www.icollector.com/SUMMER-COLLECTOR-S-AUCTION_a44220?m=all

Retreever

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »
Thanks for that link Retreever. There's some great stuff there up for auction! If the prices stay low like they are now, there's some great deals to be had.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
I haven't checked prices recently, but they seem to have stabilized a couple of years ago. Probably rising again now.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »
I haven't checked prices recently, but they seem to have stabilized a couple of years ago. Probably rising again now.

Hi MZ, I lurked at a handfull of American auctions (I'm in Canada) for about a month - prices were all over the place and condition was always a player. I had set a very low budget ($500.00) as I couldn't see the guns in person and when I did bid I got outbid on at least (8) different guns every time it was someone at the auction in person. Prices also varies significantly region to region.

I bought this one in a private sale from a guy in Washington state, I paid $750.00USD.

Retreever

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
A few years ago there was an antique store near us ( resort, vacation area, $$) and they had some Trapdoors in stock. None were under $1500.00! This was 10-12.years ago.