Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Antique Colt 1861 Navy .36 Calibre  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
Antique Colt 1861 Navy .36 Calibre
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:04:41 AM »
This gun is coming up on an online auction - anyone care to comment on what it might be worth.

Dealer Description - Antique handgun Colt model 1861 Navy, .36 Percussion six shot single action revolver, w/ bbl length 7.5" [Blued finish turned brown gray. Fixed sights. Smooth walnut grips. Most finish is worn off including on brass back strap and trigger guard. Matching serial numbers noted on barrel lug, frame, back strap and cylinder. Trigger lock up and release function reasonably smoothly as does cylinder indexing with better than average lock up. Screw missing at take down wedge, however lot includes a small baggy of assorted pieces of hardware and homemade tools. No guarantees of fitment plus a Kirkland Union bullet mold stamped 403 serial # 6639

Thanks
Retreever

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Antique Colt 1861 Navy .36 Calibre
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
To my jaundiced eye the M1861 is the most esthetic handgun ever made ... but a Sixty is the better shooter. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 06:57:52 AM »
i love it... the real question is, what do you wanna do with it. if you are going to start a collection, if you wanna take it shooting, if you wanna box it up and display it... it is a beautiful gun. these type of things are very subjective. i personally dont have any collectables... just tools. what is the starting bid? does the fun "talk" to you saying buy me??? if it does, and you have the money, get in the game... if its an investment, then talk to the folks over at the collector side of things or ask Fingers... he would be the one to say.

good luck!!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »
i love it... the real question is, what do you wanna do with it. if you are going to start a collection, if you wanna take it shooting, if you wanna box it up and display it... it is a beautiful gun. these type of things are very subjective. i personally dont have any collectables... just tools. what is the starting bid? does the fun "talk" to you saying buy me??? if it does, and you have the money, get in the game... if its an investment, then talk to the folks over at the collector side of things or ask Fingers... he would be the one to say.

good luck!!!

What I want is a shooter, I just don't want to overpay.

Retreever

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:24 AM »
if your like me and want a good tool, without worry, grab a new one for under 300 bucks, and get yourself a shooter grade!! you can make into anyhing you want as most members here do....
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:46:36 AM »
if your like me and want a good tool, without worry, grab a new one for under 300 bucks, and get yourself a shooter grade!! you can make into anyhing you want as most members here do....

I already have repro shooters I would like an antique shooter as well.

Retreever

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:25:25 AM »
Hard to say what it's worth from just one picture. If I was buying it I would be looking at how crisp are the markings and the condition of the bore, chambers, nipples and screws. Unless it was really cheap I would not want a gun that has been over-cleaned or too buffed. I think this particular gun has been cleaned but not real bad. It looks like it has a steel backstrap and brass trigger guard, I did not know any 1861 Navy's had that. I think broadly speaking it's probably worth somewhere between 1200 - 1800. That is just a rough guesstimate, I would want to see more pics before laying out cash.

You might want to check with these guys, they know a lot more than me: https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-percussion-revolvers.52/

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »
Also if it's an auction you have to factor in the buyer's premium which can be quite high.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 09:24:28 AM »
I'd buy it for a shooter, but not for more than $600 to $700 before buyer's premium. Old guns are far more fun shooting than looking at (just my t'upence)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
I'd buy it for a shooter, but not for more than $600 to $700 before buyer's premium. Old guns are far more fun shooting than looking at (just my t'upence)

I'd go no more than a grand with the buyers premium.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »

I'd go no more than a grand with the buyers premium.
That's generous of you!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
I havent spent my stimulus money yet   )l_
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 02:30:37 PM »
There are a couple of others besides this one in the same auction.

Colt model 1st model dragoon, .44 percussion
Colt model 1860 Army, .44 Percussion

There's also a bunch of reproduction revolvers.

Retreever

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
I havent spent my stimulus money yet   )l_

There may be another stimulus check in September. That will be a good thing for all of us retired folks on SS, like us who would have been spending money to contribute, in a small way, to a small portion of the economy. It will not equate with the pandemic nor the drastic downturn in the overall nationwide economy, but it will help anyone in this spectrum with their personal economy.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »
Ok, what auction is this?