Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dance Wannabe  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Dance Wannabe
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »
I got inspired by Shotgun Dave's Dance. Since I had an older Pietta 1851 in .44 cal (the gun that never was) that always annoyed me because of the historical inaccuracy of the .44, I decided to turn it into a Dance. It is mostly done now except for sighting it in and filing the front sight down to the right height.

The Dance that gave me much of the direction was one with an octagonal barrel so I borrowed ideas from that.

I had also seen an original with a cartridge conversion in it so this is now a converted Dance.

I have a second one to get converted but it's a newer Pietta with very oversized grips which I need to somehow correct before turning it into a Dance.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Dance Wannabe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
I would love to see more of your handiwork!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
Thanks. I can line up a few build photos of this one but it's the only Colt-based project I've done in recent years. I'll have another one soon if I can get some issues sorted out. Unless you want to see leather. That I can do easily. Is there a leather forum here?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
There is. Down a ways in the "General Black Powder" section
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
I got inspired by Shotgun Dave's Dance. Since I had an older Pietta 1851 in .44 cal (the gun that never was) that always annoyed me because of the historical inaccuracy of the .44, I decided to turn it into a Dance. It is mostly done now except for sighting it in and filing the front sight down to the right height.

The Dance that gave me much of the direction was one with an octagonal barrel so I borrowed ideas from that.

Welcome! I think you will fit right in with the Forum mindset!

That sure does not look like a Pietta .44 Navy (non-rebated cylinder and no cut water table), but you are correct that Dance did produce a very few octagonal barrel .36 revolvers, but the vast majority of those few had recoil shields. Very nice rendition you have made! I am very interested about the datecode of the donor revolver. The gripframe assembly is unlike anything I have seen before on a Pietta 1851 Navy, and I have done a bit of research on Pietta gripframe assemblies. This is a new one on me. An info would be most welcome!

I had also seen an original with a cartridge conversion in it so this is now a converted Dance.

I have a second one to get converted but it's a newer Pietta with very oversized grips which I need to somehow correct before turning it into a Dance.

That is somewhat (or very) unique, but I personally am not into conversions, but it looks very well done.

That said, I would like to invite you to become a member of a sister Forum: https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php. It is a black powder revolver collector forum that was started at the urging of Dr. Jim L. Davis and is strictly about collector revolvers. Kirk and Dave are the administrators and Fingers and myself are Mods. CC is the place to discuss anything else.

Thanks for your posts!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »
I'm glad you posted your Dance for us Marshal. Now these guys can see what I've been seeing.

Awesome work.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 09:41:36 PM »
Welcome! I think you will fit right in with the Forum mindset!

That sure does not look like a Pietta .44 Navy (non-rebated cylinder and no cut water table), but you are correct that Dance did produce a very few octagonal barrel .36 revolvers, but the vast majority of those few had recoil shields. Very nice rendition you have made! I am very interested about the datecode of the donor revolver. The gripframe assembly is unlike anything I have seen before on a Pietta 1851 Navy, and I have done a bit of research on Pietta gripframe assemblies. This is a new one on me. An info would be most welcome!
The date code is CC (2008). I did shave a slight bit off the backstrap at the heel to reduce the trumpet. I got the idea from Pettifogger's pdf on making these things work better. What really makes it look different is the flattened sides of the grip itself. Oh, yeah, I put Birchwood Casey Super Blue on the brass but I've cleaned off the triggerguard since that photo was taken.

You may be able to answer this. When did Pietta change from the trumpet style grip assembly to the new incredibly over-sized one? I'd like to get my 2020 1851 changed from what it is to the old style. I may have to make my own by modifying a steel backstrap and making new grips.

That is somewhat (or very) unique, but I personally am not into conversions, but it looks very well done.

That said, I would like to invite you to become a member of a sister Forum: https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php. It is a black powder revolver collector forum that was started at the urging of Dr. Jim L. Davis and is strictly about collector revolvers. Kirk and Dave are the administrators and Fingers and myself are Mods. CC is the place to discuss anything else.

Thanks for your posts!

Regards,

Jim
I like the conversions better than manufactured cartridge revolvers or percussion ones. That transition period is most fascinating to me. It was quite short a timespan and things changed rapidly from percussion to full cartridge guns. As to unique, I like things I have to make or modify to get one.

I'll check out that forum link you provided. It sounds particularly interesting. Thanks for the link.

Thank you Dave. It was sure a lot of fun. Of course, I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:44:14 PM by Marshal Will »