Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Paper cartridge V metal cartridges  (Read 6763 times)

TheOutlawKid

Re: Paper cartridge V metal cartridges
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 07:56:32 AM »
 Heres info on lube disks for those interested. This is what my lube sheet looks like and the end result. Notice how thin they are...thats all thats needed to keep fouling soft...and the thinness not only allows for using a harder lube, but also makes the disk easier to melt and coat the inside of the barrel...also takes up way less limited chamber space allowing more room for more powder and/or larger bullets. Since they are so thin they disintegrate fast and in the barrel. They actually leave far more lube in the barrel than a thick lube disk/wad/cookie.

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »
 I am a firm believer in using straight walled non tapered paper cartidges. Tapers cause the paper to get smushed and folded so its an uneven burn and will leave unburnt paper behind but it also can leave small pockets of air and powder to be stuck inbetween folds of paper. I like consistency from shot to shot. And a lot has to do in how the loading is done. If you all have time give it a try. Any questions? Ill be happy to answer best i can.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Questions? Sure! Is this related to another post? I don't see where you mentioned the material, source of material, and description of how you made them, lube, etc...inquiring minds want to know! If it is related to another post let me know and I'll see if I can merge the topics.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
Well i had posted this on another forum. The pin gauges i got through amazon, also the rolling papers and 3/8inch hole punch. As far as the paper disk at the bottom of the cartridge I use rice paper, the kind used in gift bags, because it's thin and easy for the cap to burn through. But hair curling paper can also be used as it is thin too. The rolling paper i use is RAW rolling papers, i get the 300 count packs and one paper makes two cartridges but i can actually make 3 cartidges of 20-22 grains out of just one paper. The lube disks are made by getting a bread pan that measures 4x8 inches at the bottom...i then cut a paper towel to 4x8 inches and l place it in the pan and i pour 24 grams of the lube mix of choice...place it on the stove on low just warm enough to melt the lube and allow rhe paper towel to absorb it. Once absorbed i take it off the stove and let it cool and harden. Once hardened i place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes just enough to get it to shrink so i can just tap out the sheet of lube. I then use a hole punch to get the lube disk of size i want.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
Great stuff OutlawKid. Thanks for sharing it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 07:42:34 AM »
Appreciate the info, Kid! Are you using standard Emmert's lube or have your own recipe?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
Nope not emmerts lube. It works good but not in paper carts since the oil bleeds into the paper. I use just tallow and beeswax in a 1:3-1:5 ratio by weight. This combo doesnt bleed into the paper...and for long term storage you dont want a lube that soaks oil into the paper which in turn can get into the black powder

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 03:33:15 AM »
Very cool Kid! Thanks for your time and obvious effort. Took some thinking and experimenting for your system. Appreciate you sharing your system. Like above ... we all enjoy learning new stuff for these VERY addictive revolvers.

I am intrigued with the straight walled design. Mine taper slightly for easy loading. I messed with straight walled cartridges awhile back but wanted a design that was closer to the original article.

However your straight wall makes sense what with lost air space and lord knows what happens when crunched inside the cylinder.

I also like your bullets. I betcha they are more accurate. Guess I need yet another mold from Tom at Accurate Molds .

Thanks again for your tutorial. I been so busy tryin to get cought up that my shootin n stuff have suffered. I know ... SHAMEFUL !!!
BIGTED

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »
wow... How did I miss this thread???? very cool Kido!!!!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
I have been making the paper cartridges using The Outlaw Kid's instructions(from another site). I like this method and the results are very good. Ignition has been 100% and very little paper residue remains after extended(6 cylinders worth)firing.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton