Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show Us Your Maker Stamps  (Read 9297 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Show Us Your Maker Stamps
« on: October 05, 2020, 06:57:10 AM »
I'm starting this thread because many of us have makers stamps even though we aren't working professionally. Pros, of course, do have them. This may help others find where to get theirs made if they want one. Years ago I worked in a saddle shop and for me leather items need a makers stamp to look right.

Mine is made by Infinity Stamps. It's steel and will last a few centuries longer than I will.

Before I bought one, I spent some time looking at pictures in Packing Iron when I was thinkng about mine. Toss in any information that may have helped you decide what you wanted to do for yours, if you like.

I wanted a design for maker's stamp that would be typical back to about 1870 but still look stylish for all the way up to 1899. I chose a small rounded rectangle so I could put it on the strap on a holster as well as in the larger areas of a holster or on a bigger item. I stayed away from graphics since that didn't start showing up until the late 1880's as best I could tell. I didn't put a location since I may be moving one of these days, besides, who's heard of Aromas?  :D The size is 1 3/8"L x 3/8"H  Here it is, along with a photo to visually show the size:

I understand that Grey Ghost Graphics offers stamps made of Delrin. For many of us non-pros, one of those will last the rest of our lives. It's a good way to go. I will be moving one of these days and intend to get a larger one made of Delrin after I do.

OK, pards. Lets see them.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Show Us Your Maker Stamps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
That's what I need Marshal. I think I'm going to order one of the Delrin ones. It should be plenty good for the small amount of work I do.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:09:12 AM »
Here is my most current one.....actually the file it was created from. It is just a flat plate with no handle...because I use a 1T arbor press with it. Had a buddy make it for me. It's 1.25" in length. I'm happy with it.

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
Dave, you can submit your own artwork or choose from his standard designs, which are pretty nice. It all depends on what you want.

That's a good looking one, Miguel. 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" is a good size for most things. Where did you get yours? An arbor press is a good way to go. No chance of a double strike, which I've had happen on a less than solid surface, even with my slate tooling slab on it.

Miguel, how deep a reach does your press have?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:10:56 PM by Marshal Will »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »
Dave, you can submit your own artwork or choose from his standard designs, which are pretty nice. It all depends on what you want.

That's a good looking one, Miguel. 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" is a good size for most things. Where did you get yours? An arbor press is a good way to go. No chance of a double strike, which I've had happen on a less than solid surface, even with my slate tooling slab on it.

Miguel, how deep a reach does your press have?

Your stamp is great! Very period correct. Great looking Dodge City holster there too.....

I had a buddy that worked for a company that had a CNC set up. He made the stamp and some motorcycle fender mounts for me. I traded some motorcycle parts for it. The stamp was made out of brass stock.

I hear ya on the double strikes. The makers mark is the most important part of the entire project as it reflects the maker. The press is just a $45 1T press from Harbor Freight. You can get just about 4" to the center of the arbor with this one. So I always do a little planning and put the mark on early in the project. I wet the leather far more than I do for tooling and press multiple times. The brass stamp holds it's place on the leather really well. I've never had an issue with it moving on me.

I took the time go into the shop and take a pic of the 3 I have. The 2 round ones were done by a guy in China.....about $30 shipped for the bigger one. Turn around time was surprisingly fast......less than 30 days to my door. I may still have his link if interested, but I'm trying my best to keep things all USA these days. Nothing against the guy in China, he took good care of me. I looked into Delrin stamps.....but for me, I like brass or steel.....less likely to chip or break when dropped. Just my personal opinion, offered with zero experience with Delrin stamps.

-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »
Thanks, Miguel. A 4" reach would do most projects I tackle. I may have to invest in one of those eventually. Doggone things take some room, though. I suppose I could use my drill press for the job. I'll have to look into that but it would require a new block stamp. The handle on mine is too big a diameter to fit into any of the chucks I have. Old Charlie, the saddle maker I worked for, had it down. He just smacked his with a 2 lb hammer. LOL

Your oval stamp looks good in leather. Good design, there. Thanks for the information.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »
Thanks, Miguel. A 4" reach would do most projects I tackle. I may have to invest in one of those eventually. Doggone things take some room, though. I suppose I could use my drill press for the job. I'll have to look into that but it would require a new block stamp. The handle on mine is too big a diameter to fit into any of the chucks I have. Old Charlie, the saddle maker I worked for, had it down. He just smacked his with a 2 lb hammer. LOL

Your oval stamp looks good in leather. Good design, there. Thanks for the information.

LOL.....I tried the 2 lb hammer routine. This is much easier. It doesn't take up much room.....work bench footprint is 9"X5".

What is the diameter? The arbor in the press is 1". You could always drill it to accept your stamp, then add a set screw to hold it. I've seen a lot of guys do that. Or simply cut the shaft shorter to fit the press.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
LOL.....I tried the 2 lb hammer routine. This is much easier. It doesn't take up much room.....work bench footprint is 9"X5".

What is the diameter? The arbor in the press is 1". You could always drill it to accept your stamp, then add a set screw to hold it. I've seen a lot of guys do that. Or simply cut the shaft shorter to fit the press.
That would work fine. I don't recall the diameter but it's probably 3/4" or 1". Either way, a set screw would hold it in fine. If it's bigger, I have bits up to 1-1/2". Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go look at them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 07:07:55 PM »
I don't remember where my stamp came from,   I have had it for a long time.    It is made from Delrin and was one of the earliest ones made with a CNC machine that I know of.    It still leaves a perfect impression when squarely whacked with a 2 pound maul.   I have dropped it, hit it off center and even hit it upside down and it has survived with no damage.   Before this one I had a brass one that got ruined when I dropped it on the concrete floor.   It must have been a pretty soft alloy.

Nowadays so called leatherworkers buy a maker's stamp before they have made anything worth putting their name on.  It is supposed to stand for quality and craftsmanship but now it is just another form of advertising for many leathercrafters.   Used to be that a guy had to earn a makers mark after working for a shop or maker for period of time or serving an apprenticeship and becoming a competent leatherworker.

For what it's worth,  most all the work included on this site is worthy of carrying the name of the maker.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »

For what it's worth,  most all the work included on this site is worthy of carrying the name of the maker.
I agree with that!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
Well, I seem to be making enough stuff lately, that I feel comfortable getting a Maker stamp. So I took the plunge today and ordered one of the Delrin Stamps from Grey Ghost. Here's the artwork for it.

Jeff answered my email and had this artwork ready for me in less than an hour. And the price is great too. I'll update this post when I get the stamp in hand.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 02:17:00 PM »
Very nice, Dave! That looks really good with the full-on double bbl graphic. Looking forward to seeing it on your work. Quick! Make something! (as soon as you get it, that is) :-H

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
Very nice, Dave! That looks really good with the full-on double bbl graphic. Looking forward to seeing it on your work. Quick! Make something! (as soon as you get it, that is) :-H

Thanks Marshal! I always knew how I wanted my stamp to look. Jeff hit it out of the park.

It will probably get used first on my wife's purse project, that I've been dragging my feet on.  (7+"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
Now you have a good reason to drag your feet on that purse. It needs a maker's stamp on it! ($!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
Looks great Dave! Now you're big time!!
-Mick