Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Boys Hatchet  (Read 4325 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Boys Hatchet
« on: October 14, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »
I have had this hatchet for 46 years now. My grandmother bought it for me when I entered Webelos. It has seen some hard use over the years, and it deserved a little love. So I went to the local hardware store and to Lowes, looking for a new handle. No one had one this small. Apparently not everyone needs a 12" hatchet handle!

So I went on a search and found a company out of Tennessee called Whiskey River Art and Trading. They make 100% American made hickory tool handles. And they had the handle for my hatchet, and it was only $14.00+ship. SOLD!! I got it today and put it on. It even came with two wedges.

I think it's got another 46 years in it now. I remember it had a leather sheath to cover the edge when I got it new. So I went online and looked for Norlund hatchets and found some good pictures of it. I'll be making a replacement for it real soon.

Here's the original handle. It must have had 3lbs of nails holding the head on!

The head looked as bad as the handle. It was covered in "patina". In other words, rust. I took a Scotchbrite disc to it and cleaned it up.

I think my old Scout Master would be pretty proud.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Boys Hatchet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 09:19:24 PM »
I had a boy scout hatchet but I haven't seen it in awhile so not sure I still do.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:37:53 AM »
good looking hatchet.... i use a hatchet almost daily in my life, and can appreciate a decent one. i would suggest you chuck that thing up in a bench vice and go to work on that blade next. file first then a stone, and you can shave with it.. then perhaps you can put together a sheath for it... you will be the envy of the block!!!!

mark
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
I had one like that, Dave. In fact, still do! With the original handle, yet! I use it to split kindling for the fire pit out back. Dad was a Scoutmaster even before I got into Cub Scouts and somehow that little hatchet became a part of the family. It was one of the tools (along with a good, hefty axe) that I used to get my Paul Bunyan award in Boy Scouts (for felling and limbing a tree)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 09:32:45 AM »
Thanks guys.

Yep, you're right Mark. Next comes putting an edge back on it. I want to clean the head up a little more first.

Capt, this thing has done it's share of work over the years. I used it many times for chores in the back yard. it's also pounded in 1000's of tent stakes, and chopped up plenty of kindling wood for campfires.

After I get it all done, it's going to ride around with me in the Jeep. There's a neat little mount in the back that the hatchet fits perfectly in. So it will always be handy if needed out on the trail.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 12:52:46 PM »
I have a couple of hatchets, but not a boy's model.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »
As I said, I have 2 regular size hatchets; but I also have a smaller hatchet head. Would this be a boys model? The head is 5-1/4" long by 3-1/4" wide at the widest part. It is quite rusty from being stored in an outbuilding and I can't see a brand name yet.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 11:47:14 PM »
Mine was pretty rusty too and somebody had been using it as a wedge to split firewood so it was a little battered and no identifying markings showing. I smoothed it up some and wire brushed it. It had the BSA logo and a brand name but I don't remember what it was. It may be in the bottom of my roll around tool chest. I'll have to clean it out and see.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:42:00 AM »
Yeah, probably the same with this one as the top edges are slightly rounded over. I'll clean that up and work on the "patina"! L@J

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
Hawg, those BSA hatchets are quite collectable. Might be worth a buck or two.

Em, yours definitely sounds like a boys model. The place I got my handle from will definitely have a handle for it.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 09:33:25 PM »

I kinda doubt this one is. It was used as a splitting wedge and the top was battered and the edges were rolled over. I ground off the rollover but I'm pretty sure it lost any collectability it had.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »

I kinda doubt this one is. It was used as a splitting wedge and the top was battered and the edges were rolled over. I ground off the rollover but I'm pretty sure it lost any collectability it had.

It is still really cool, just because it's a BSA though.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 04:53:37 PM »
Well I cleaned out the bottom of my box and didn't find it. It may still be around here somewhere but it's less likely. I did find this combination hatchet/claw hammer but the claws are broken off. I don't see a makers mark but I'll try to get the paint brushed off of it for a better look.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 07:37:03 PM »
I have one identical to that Hawg. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. I don't know how old it is, but mine belonged to my grandfather.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 11:20:40 AM »
Here is a visual showing the difference between my full hatchet and the smaller head.