Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Doin' "The Squeeze"...  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Doin' "The Squeeze"...
« on: October 19, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »
No, it ain't some new dance. I'm getting set to load up some BP .45 Colt ammo. Planning on putting as much 2F (or should I use 3F?) as I can fit in the case topped with a 250gr hard cast bullet. My only questions now have to do with compression and seating. Do you guys use a compression die? And some sort of non-lubed wad, or just the bullet? I've read where using the bullet can deform the nose, and since a compression die is fairly inexpensive, I could be persuaded to get me one. Some folks claim wads made from milk carton or egg carton work fine and are consumed on firing, some folks claim you should use a non-sparking drop tube while others say not necessary for pistol carts. I just want these to turn out right the first time, so any advice from experienced BP cart loaders will be much appreciated as I'm ready to start cranking out ammo.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Doin' "The Squeeze"...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
The majority of the time, I don't overthink it. I put 30gr of 3F in the case with a scoop, primed with a Federal large pistol primer, under a 250gr bullet lubed with SPG. There's a little more than 1/8" space to the top of the case. The bullet doesn't deform compressing that little. I also use a factory crimp die to finish them off.

They go bang with lots of smoke, and they're pretty accurate too.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
The drop tube is to eliminate air space between powder granules. You do get some in pistol cartridges. You can use a drop tube or vibrate the case to settle powder or just pick a load that fills the case to about 1/16th of an inch and seat the bullet.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »
Would you do the same using 777? Just curious how substitutes would be loaded......
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
Would you do the same using 777? Just curious how substitutes would be loaded......

T7 is something I know nothing about. You can get more Pyrodex in a case than you can bp because you can squash the hell out of it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »
The majority of the time, I don't overthink it. I put 30gr of 3F in the case with a scoop, primed with a Federal large pistol primer, under a 250gr bullet lubed with SPG. There's a little more than 1/8" space to the top of the case. The bullet doesn't deform compressing that little. I also use a factory crimp die to finish them off.
They go bang with lots of smoke, and they're pretty accurate too.
2fg or 3fg, I don't think there will be much difference. I do use a drop tube, but you can get away with tapping the filled case gently with a screwdriver handle. I don't bother with a wad with pistol/revolver black powder cartridges. You will get some looks if you are shooting with others that are shooting smokeless. Crack-crack-crack BOOM! As far as 777, I have heard they don't recommend compression, but I have never shot the stuff. Check it out first.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »
Never used T7, but if I did I'd compress it same as black powder.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:48:29 PM »
2fg or 3fg, I don't think there will be much difference. I do use a drop tube, but you can get away with tapping the filled case gently with a screwdriver handle. I don't bother with a wad with pistol/revolver black powder cartridges. You will get some looks if you are shooting with others that are shooting smokeless. Crack-crack-crack BOOM! As far as 777, I have heard they don't recommend compression, but I have never shot the stuff. Check it out first.

I can't tell any difference between 2F and 3F just shooting it. If I shot over a chrono it might show some difference but if the difference is that minuscule it doesn't matter. I don't use a wad either. I have heard that about T7 also.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
I loaded a bunch with 30gr of Pyrodex and a wad. They seemed a bit hotter than the equivalent load of real BP. I may do that again, just because I have 2lbs of the stuff to get rid of.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »
You don't need a drop tube if you use a compression die. A drop tube will help with compression in larger rifle cases but not much in pistol cases if you are using compression die.   I have done it both ways and can get a little more powder in the case with the compression die alone versus a drop tube.   I can easily get 35 grains of 3F Goex in a case when using my compression die and not deform the bullet at when seating.   I like the compression die because I  also use it for loading 45-70.

I have loaded T7 cartridges both with and without compression.   Hodgedon says compressing T7 gives inconsistent results.   I could tell that some rounds were noticeably different from others loaded the same way with heavily compressed T7.   Uncompressed T7  seemed more consistent.    I don't have a chronograph so this is purely opinion as I have no documentation for these claims.  I don't use T7 anymore.