Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Short barrel Navy project  (Read 1882 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Short barrel Navy project
« on: October 22, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
I know this type of gun isn't most people's cup o' tea. And that's okay. But for some reason I gravitate to the shorter barreled guns. Maybe it's because I know that my eyes are bad and getting worse, and the long distance pistol shot is out of the question. Maybe I just think they look sinister and cool. Maybe it makes it easier for my 16 year old daughter to wield. Maybe it's all of the above!

At any rate, I had an almost complete frame that I got from OutlawKid. It had all of it's guts in it, and he had preformed his magic on the action. All it needed was everything else from the grip and grip frame, to the cylinder and barrel. Good thing is, I had everything in my parts stash.

I had put the gun together a few weeks ago, just to get it functioning. And function it does. OutlawKid did his usual fine job on it. So now it was time to decide what to do with it. Out came the hacksaw and files.

It's not really a true "Snubby" or "Belly Gun". The barrel is a tad under 3 1/2" long. You'll notice I elected to leave the loading lever on too. You're probably thinking that it's absolutely useless at that length. But with a extension cheater bar on it, It works just fine. You'll also notice there's no latch. I took my inspiration for that, from a gentleman on another forum that specializes in short barreled cap n' ball pistols. I pinched the lug where the lever attaches, and it's not going anywhere.

I also put a little crown on the barrel, and put a brass blade sight on it.

So that's where the project is at right now. I have a few more plans for it, but I'll reveal those later. For now, It's shootable as is. Updates to follow.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:18:16 AM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Short barrel Navy project
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »
Personally, I like it! The round barrel in G&G styling is pretty appealing to me. LL looks fine just as long as you have the cheater bar in your possibles bag.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
A friend of mine had his barrel shortened, cut off the loading lever. He carries the cut off barrel and uses that as the "cheater bar" for loading.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »
Looks pretty good! Now you have a short-barreled Leech & Rigdon for you collection. Was the cylinder originally smooth or did you sand it down?

I like the fact that you kept the short load-lever and use a cheater to load the cylinder on the gun.

If you are ambitious, you might think about turning that gripframe/wood into a bird's head type. I think that would really set it apart!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »
Thanks fellas.

Good eye Jim. That cylinder came to me smooth. It's hard to tell if it was made that way, or if someone removed it. But I've always hung onto it for future G&G, L&R and Dance projects. I'm glad I did. It seems hard to find .36 caliber cylinders without the scene on them.

I haven't quite engineered it yet, but I'll be making a dedicated cheater bar for it.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
I second the bird's head mod. Mazo did a really nice version of that on his. Maybe he'll post a pic of it for you... L@J

Also, ditch the shoulder stock screws with some flush or Allen plugs. They look most heinous on an Army and worse yet on a Navy.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »
I second the bird's head mod. Mazo did a really nice version of that on his. Maybe he'll post a pic of it for you... L@J

Also, ditch the shoulder stock screws with some flush or Allen plugs. They look most heinous on an Army and worse yet on a Navy.

Those screws will be long gone by the time this is done. And the grip isn't decided yet. I'm not a big fan of the bird's head. It doesn't fit my hand well, and I don't like how the gun reacts to recoil.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Short barrel Navy projectub
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »
Cute little popgun.  Nice job.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce