Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: HARPERS FERRY  (Read 1756 times)

Offline toot

• View Profile
HARPERS FERRY
« on: November 05, 2020, 06:12:40 AM »
well I finally got to shoot my HARPERS FERRY FLINT LOCK PISTOL today-11-04-20. it is a 67 CAL smooth bore. I shot it a total of 20 times. 10 at 25 yards. and 10 at 7 yards- 21 feet. combat distance. I shot .610 DIA, RB'S with a heavy patch, and 30 grs of 3FG. black. well no its at 25 yds. can you imagine? and a 7 yds. 21 feet no hits. oh well, not to worry I was out to have a good time witch I did! the gun fired every time with out a misfire, amazing! lock is MARKED- HARPERS FERRY 1803, with EAGLE, on lock. just thought that I would post it. OH it has a brass front sight. toot.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Re: HARPERS FERRY
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 07:54:36 AM »
Toot, something's wrong.  When I shoot my guns they ALWAYS hit something.  Gravity prevails... (7+"
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
Hi toot, then get closer until you see where your are hitting. Many of these BP handguns shoot high.

You have a great start where every trigger pull has the handgun go bang.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 06:47:24 AM »
Dave Shooter, you are so right! I forgot about NEWTONS THEROY OF GRAVITY!

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 06:57:53 AM »
ssb73q, I was using a 6 o'clock hold at the very bottom of the target and they were hitting over the target. so that is a common occurrence with smooth bore flinters?? how would I correct it shooting that high? it would not be a weapon of choice in a DUEL!!??  and that is no BS, when I said that it went off every pull of the trigger. this gun when dry fired in my living room almost sets' the rug on fire. the sparks are still burning when they hit the floor / rug. that is the best frizzen that I have ever seen spark on all of my flinters. wish I knew who made it? maybe it was a JAP from the early 1960's?

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 07:00:39 AM »
all said & done I am still having fun making Smoak at 76+++, that is what keeps old farts young!! when it is over for us, that is what we will be making Smoak.