Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 with Taylor conversion cylinder  (Read 4149 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 with Taylor conversion cylinder
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
Hi Mike, no problem with hurt feeling here, mom always said to not take anything personal.

This is the problem I have setting up the Kirst gated conversion cylinder:

Without cartridges in the cylinder the narrow cylinder parts that protrude from the back face of the cylinder that bears against the Kirst backplate is 0.050" long. However, SAAMI has the .45 Colt rim thickness spec at 0.060-0.011". See (pg(59):
https://saami.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

While some .45 Colt cartridges are equal, some are more equal than others. lol

I suspect that Kirst expects the rim of the .45 Colt cartridge to set the barrel/cylinder gap since the protrude part is shorter than most .45 Colt cartridges. However, that means that different manufactures of .45 Colt cartridges and brass may have different rim thicknesses. IMO getting a 0.002" gap consistently with different manufacture cartridges would be difficult at best. That's why I build to a 0.005+" barrel/cylinder gap.

What's your take on the above comments?

Regards,
Richard 
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
Nobody asked me, but my take would be to use new Starline brass, set the gun up for it, and get yourself a nice stockpile (say, 500 cases) and not worry about it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
Hi Kirk, that's one path, but IMO a .45 Colt revolver should be able to shoot any .45 Colt ammo loaded. Loaded with BP, a larger cylinder/barrel gap makes some sense for BP fouling. S&W has that a cylinder/barrel gap as large as 0.011 is acceptable for their modern revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
  You're right  Kirk !  NOBODY ASKED YOU !!!!  LOL!!!!!!     JUST TEASING !!!!   (Could not resist!!!)

Anyway, the way I set them up is a little tedious but the final setup is rather satisfying!  The ratchet rests against the recoil shield ( that means the end of the teeth are trued and polished  .  .  .  polished by means of 1200 sandpaper on a glass surface).  The front of the cyl is trued ( de- burred and no ridge at any chamber mouth) and also polished in the same manner as the ratchet ( yes, the face of the cyl is shiny). The barrel/cyl clearance  ( endshake) is set ( mine are  .0015" -  .002"). 
   Now, you have a cylinder with an almost nonexistent endshake so we need to fit the conversion ring. With dummy rounds loaded, you need at least .003"  - .005" headspace for the cartridges ( mine typically is .003" - .004"). Use the newest and or thickest brass you have and have at least the min. headspace. If you need to gain more space ( because of the cylinder fitting process )  take material away from the front face of the conversion ring ( 320 sandpaper on glass). When you reach your clearance, you can polish that surface as well.

Now you have a Kirst cyl with .0015" - .002" endshake with headspace tollerance and a conversion ring  ( mounted or not) that will fully support the case head that moves back against it as it reseats the spent primer. It's as tight as the proverbial drum and works as if it came from the Freedom Arms custom shop!!

That's how I do it.
Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
  You're right  Kirk !  NOBODY ASKED YOU !!!!  LOL!!!!!!   

LOL...that's why I said it, Mike! Sometimes I just can't help myself and shut up! (7+" (7+"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 08:27:57 PM »

And then, on my personal revolvers, I cut the hammer face back, drill a mounting hole, a hole for a cross pin and mount a "firing plate". The plate is then fitted so that the firing pin is the only thing the mounted plate contacts .  .  . never touches the conversion ring.. Once fitted, the plate is hardened, polished, fire blued and reinstalled. Now, when the hammer drops, the frame is what stops the hammers movement while the firing pin is fully in the forward position. No excessive wear to the hammer ( hammer draw is just 3 lbs ), or the firing plate or the firing pin. They will never beat themselves up!!

Mike

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
Hi, if you want a BP revolver to shoot .45 Colt were the converted revolver is close to historical, the 1858 Remington is outstanding. The Taylor cylinder for that revolver is a 6-shot cylinder. Loading and reloading is easy peasy. Own two Taylor .45 Colt 1858 Remington cylinders for Clint Eastwood like reloading.

This recommendation should get some hate mail, or at least having me banned from this message board? lol

Regards,
Richard

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Lol!!!

Me too Richard!! I think the drop cyl conversion is the best for the Remington design!! (6 shots, not 5).

Mike

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 12:06:14 PM »
Hi Mike, be careful, these Colt guys have a lot of rope. Hope you can run as fast as me. lol

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
If owning Remmies was a hanging offense you fellers would have a different Captain. Just sayin'.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
Hey, my first BP revolver was an 1858 Remmie! Second one too! (jh