Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 with Taylor conversion cylinder  (Read 4146 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
1860 with Taylor conversion cylinder
« on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:16 AM »
Hi, Mike has a new video shooting the 1860 Colt with Taylors conversion cylinder:

If you go this route I suggest that you install a taller front sight to have poi=poa at 25yds. That way you don't miss the center of the target on your first shot.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 with Taylor conversion cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
I like it! I've got two Armies...might just give one of these a try.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
Are the Taylor's cylinders made by R&D? Why not call them that instead of by the distributor name? Just curious

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:51:58 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if R&D still makes them for Taylor's.
They look the same to me.
You have to love Mike's humor when something goes wrong,
I really enjoy watching his videos.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 06:30:06 AM »

Hi Kirk, the Pietta 1860 always requires a hand modification, usually shortening, for the timing to be correct. The Uberti 1860 conversion cylinder almost always drops in without an issue.

BTW, stay 1000 miles away from the gated Kirst 1860 conversion cylinder, installation is always troublesome with that conversion cylinder. Properly set up, loading and swapping out an 1860 colt conversion where the barrel needs to be removed is IMO faster than the gated conversion cylinder unloading and reloading.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 08:20:45 AM »
Richard, so in this case less is more?!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »

Hi Kirk, the Pietta 1860 always requires a hand modification, usually shortening, for the timing to be correct. The Uberti 1860 conversion cylinder almost always drops in without an issue.

BTW, stay 1000 miles away from the gated Kirst 1860 conversion cylinder, installation is always troublesome with that conversion cylinder. Properly set up, loading and swapping out an 1860 colt conversion where the barrel needs to be removed is IMO faster than the gated conversion cylinder unloading and reloading.

Regards,
Richard
Richard, both my Armies are San Paolos.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
Welllll .  .  .  depends on proper setup!! If you are fast with your ejector ( most are very awkward with it), I can beat you with my Gated conversion against your drop cylinder!!
  Gated conversions for open tops are historically correct ( drop cylinders are not). The best setup is an either or proposition .  .  . either a cap gun or conversion. A "dedicated"  cartridge setup with the Kirst is a very nice, very functional  working revolver.  I happen to have a beautiful Uberti made Cimarron import 1860 Army  (civilian) with silver plated trigger guard that will be getting a Pietta Kirst gated conversion and will be my "fancy" " next to me" "personal", "around the house" protection device!!  Yes, Pietta because it's a little longer so it can be loaded with factory length fodder.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:34:46 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »
Hi scooby, yes the Kirst drops in easily, but it's difficult to get it to work reliably. The problem with the Kirst 1860 gated conversion cylinder is the the floating backplate. The cylinder/barrel gap needs to larger than desired for reliability. It's easy for a case rim to get caught up on the backplate and jam the revolver. Howell did it right with their gated 1851 conversion cylinder where the cylinder backplate is screwed onto the revolver backplate. IMO installation of the Kirst 1860 gated conversion isn't an amateur's project. That's best left to guys like Mike (Goon).

What a crock,
Richard

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »
Scoob, that is total Bunk!!!

"Floating" or not ( the cartridges themselves are floating for Pete's sake!!!) the back plate is just a "back stop"  for the case to  back up against!!  My own revolvers with Kirst conversions  have a .0015 " barrel/ cylinder clearance!!  Everything happens in front of the  "back plate" or conversion ring. Whether it is fixed or not has absolutely no relevance as to what happens in front of it. If anyone knows better, please tell me how or what .  .  .   if you feel the need to screw the Kirst ring to the recoil shield, by all means do so .  .  .   but there's no need to!!  (It's a crutch for not liking it!)

I've done many ( mounted and not mounted) for customers that are completely satisfied with the results (which are always setup just as a close tolerance revolver should be!).  Don't let folks bs you !!! If I wouldn't defend my life or my family with it,  I would say so!!!!!

Mike
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:48:19 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 07:08:58 PM »
In fact, the 2 piece cyls are a weaker design because of the lack of support for the cartridge case. The "floating" Kirst ring gives full support whereas the back plate on the "Howell" type conversion  does not. 
 Actually, I'll be shooting some  "good" loads soon but only for demonstrating the strength of the Colt pattern design, not the Kirst product .  .   per se .  .  . haaaa haaaa !!!!

Mike
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:13:02 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
My Kirst gated conversion has had well over 1000 rounds through it so far. Most in 80 to 1200 round sessions in an afternoon. It has not locked up or otherwise hiccoughed yet. I have never even had to swab it out between cylinder fulls, and I use real black powder.

My opinion is, they are a testament to Walt's expertise.

Your mileage may vary.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 03:17:45 AM »
Hi, wow, a lot of edited posts in this thread. Glad the hate mail parts were removed. lol

I just didn't fall off the turnip truck and have done a couple of Kirst gated .45 Colt conversion cylinder conversions. It took me a lot of work to get them to work properly with a 0.005+" cylinder/barrel gap. IMO the Taylor type conversion cylinder is so much simpler to get working properly with a 0.002" gap by the amateur.

Something else to consider is that doing a gated conversion turns the revolver into an FFL to transfer firearm. The Taylor cylinder conversion does not since the revolver itself isn't modified. If you want historical, go Kirst. However, if you would just like to be able to shoot .45 Colt from your 1960 Army, go with the Taylor. The Taylor cylinder is also lower cost than the Kirst.

Okay, let the hate mail continue.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 03:40:13 AM »
Hi, some photos of my amateur created gated conversions. Notice that they all have taller front sights so that poi=poa @25yds. As Mike in his video pointed out, .45 Colt in an 1860 Army shoots much higher than C&B. When you have a few different revolvers to shoot it is nice to be able to hit the X-ring with the first shot without needing to recall kentucky windage.

Regards,
Richard

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 05:39:18 AM »
Hey Richard,  I read in haste yesterday and didn't see your reference to me. So .  .  .  thank you and I apologize for slamming the door so hard !!! No "hate mail" from here!!

Mike