Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New to me 49 Pocket Model  (Read 2221 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
New to me 49 Pocket Model
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
Been wanting one of these for my daughter to shoot. Stumbled onto this on GB a week or so ago, and couldn't pass up the deal. I got it really cheap.

It's a 1969 (XXV) made, EIG import by ASM. It says "Marco" on the left side of the frame. It's in decent shape for it's age, but the brass needs a little love. It's nearly black. So my daughter has asked me to polish it back up.

Literally 10 minutes after unboxing it, I broke the trigger spring. It wasn't any fault of the guns, I over bent it while fiddling with it, and it snapped off in my hand. So I had to make a new one out of wire, as I'm sure parts for this thing are unobtainium. It's not likely to see a ton of use, so I'm not too worried about it. As long as my daughter has her own pistol, she's happy.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: New to me 49 Pocket Model
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:49:03 PM »
Looks even better in big pix, Dave! You scored there, brother!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:59:37 PM »
Thanks Capt. I agree.

It has really nice case colors on it, but not that "clear coat" look of newer guns. It looks much better to me.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
It is definitely an ASM just by looking at the rear shoulders of the trigger guard and the load lever pivot area. It also has the short frame, the short forcing cone, and the shallow V-notch load aperture on the barrel lug from the 1848 Pocket. It has the round trigger guard of the 1849.

The 1849 had a longer frame, longer forcing cone, and a larger beveled load aperture.

Historically, Colt only produced the 1848 for one year, followed by the 1849. As Colt never wasted a part, so the story goes, some late production 1848 pistols had round trigger guards, and some early production 1849 pistols had squareback trigger guards.

It appears that ASM was not picky, either.

Replica Arms ASM 1848 Pocket (XIX/1963) 6" barrel that I used to own. I have looong fingers and it got lost in my hand.

So, in actuality you have an 1848 with a round trigger guard. You scored very well.

You had better polish up that brass real purty for your young lady!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »
Congratulations on a great find.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
Thanks fellas.

And thank you Jim. You just taught me some stuff!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 07:52:46 AM »
I learn something new nearly every day. Now, retaining that info is a different story. *6'

Offline 44 Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 04:17:41 PM »
My recently acquireda 1969 built[/img] Armi San Marco Baby dragoon?? Incorrect  with round barrel?? Some one had tried to use a Uberti bolt/trigger spring. Needed quite a bit of re-working to work.
Shotgun Dave what spring material did you use
There must have a lot of "hand fitting" by ASM back then, all parts even the wedge have serial #s. The trigger and bolt screws are even slightly different lengths, to accommodate the slight taper of the frame

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 04:53:15 PM »
Leave the brass alone! Much nicer than polished
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
My recently acquireda 1969 built[/img] Armi San Marco Baby dragoon?? Incorrect  with round barrel?? Some one had tried to use a Uberti bolt/trigger spring. Needed quite a bit of re-working to work.
Shotgun Dave what spring material did you use
There must have a lot of "hand fitting" by ASM back then, all parts even the wedge have serial #s. The trigger and bolt screws are even slightly different lengths, to accommodate the slight taper of the frame

44 Dave, that's a nice pistol! And pretty rare with the Dragoon style barrel. That's a really nice find.

As for the trigger/bolt spring, I just used a nice quality safety pin. The coiled end of the pin makes a nice place for the screw to go through. And the pin is made of nice springy steel. It only took a couple minutes and a couple pair of pliers to make it. Added bonus of doing it this way is, you get a lighter trigger pull.

I'll pop the trigger guard off tomorrow and get a picture for you.
-Abe Lincoln