Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Under Construction  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• View Profile
Under Construction
« on: February 08, 2021, 11:21:48 AM »
It has been pointed out to me, that I did not hold up my end of the bargain over on the collector forum. I promised to do better here, so I thought I'd post a little project of mine. Complete with a picture!

I am something of a tinkerer, and enjoy building things myself if I can. So when I got a few parts for a brass framed gun in a trade, I decided to put them to use. I've been piecing this together as I find parts to fit it.

It is a Pietta frame that has the date code CN on it, which puts it at 2015 according to the chart. I have most everything now, except a barrel assembly and the wood for the grips. I may try my hand at making my own grips for it.

Depending on which barrel assembly I come across, it will either end up as a Griswold or a Schneider and Glassick. It's even in the correct caliber of .36

I'll post progress as it happens.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Under Construction
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 11:28:40 AM »
You're off to a good start. Keep in mind that no grips you buy for it will be a bolt on fit. Not even factory grips.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Clark Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
Thank you Hawg.

I have read that about the grips, specially on these Pietta guns. That there are so many variations in the grip frames, that it's impossible to get wood to fit them properly. That is why I thought I'd try making my own. Then I can fit them to the gun.

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 11:44:12 AM »
Very nice, Clark!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
As Hawg said, you're off to a great start!

I also love to make my own stuff. From guns to leather. I'll be watching this one to see how it turns out.

Nice work Clark.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »
Thank you Hawg.

I have read that about the grips, specially on these Pietta guns. That there are so many variations in the grip frames, that it's impossible to get wood to fit them properly. That is why I thought I'd try making my own. Then I can fit them to the gun.

It's not just the variations in the frames. Pietta and Uberti both finish out the grip frames with the grips installed, so no two sets are exactly the same. I bought two sets of take off Pietta 58 Remington grips because they had the inspectors cartouche but neither set was close enough to make work. I bought a set of one piece grips for a Uberti Colt and they wouldn't even begin to fit.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »
Thank you Hawg.

It's not just the variations in the frames. Pietta and Uberti both finish out the grip frames with the grips installed, so no two sets are exactly the same. I bought two sets of take off Pietta 58 Remington grips because they had the inspectors cartouche but neither set was close enough to make work. I bought a set of one piece grips for a Uberti Colt and they wouldn't even begin to fit.

You make a good point Hawg. Unless you get the grip as a 3 piece assembly (wood, TG and BS) it's not going to work.

I ran into this when I made my faux ivory grips. I made the mold from a set of wood off of one of my guns. The resulting resin grips from the mold fit that particular gun perfectly. But the grips are either too big or too small to fit any other of my guns.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 04:15:21 PM »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Clark Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. And thank you Sourdough for posting that link. That is what I was referring to in my second post above.

Very good and helpful information. You have a vast knowledge of these guns Sourdough. It is appreciated.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 06:36:53 PM »
I have made several sets of 2 piece grips using home-grown walnut or hard maple. They came out not too bad. The maple wood was some left over from a M/L rifle stock blank and some from a flooring project.

Offline Clark Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 07:46:36 PM »
Thank you Mazo Kid. I think I may have some wood laying around here to experiment with.

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:44:48 AM »
Clark, how is your project going?

Offline Clark Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
Thank you for asking Bob. It's slow going right now. I have a few other irons in the fire right now. But rest assured, I will have some progress to report soon enough.

And by the way, happy birthday!

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »
Thank you!