Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My combat knife  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
My combat knife
« on: February 10, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »
Hope I can attach this picture correctly. Story behind this knife. My Dad carried it in WWII and he passed it on to me and I carried it in Vietnam with the 173 rd Airborne Brigade on my first combat tour in the Nam. The jungle ate away at the sheath and I had to make do by wrapping the sheath in green Army duct tape.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: My combat knife
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Nice keepsake/memento with a family history!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
Love it!

A priceless family heirloom.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 02:54:51 PM »
Nice knife, great background!

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
Here is that same knife with my 1942, Colt 1911 and my Airborne Unit background showing a list of areas of combat we were in.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 05:17:08 PM »
Thank you for your service!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 07:24:24 PM »
My Uncle was there around those same years. He was in the 7th Special Forces Group.

Thank you for your service.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 12:28:33 AM »
Thanks men. I would do it again for God and Country. It was an honor to serve. The 7th Special Forces were well trained men. The had some fantastic teams. It's a proud unit. I knew a bunch of of them when I was stationed at Ft Bragg where that was their home. After my first tour in Nam with the 173rd from April of 66 to April of 67,I was stationed at Bragg and then went to Africa fo a little operation and on my return, went back to Nam with the 82 nd Airborne in 68. I was one of those " Black Hearted Devils in Baggy Pants". lol A name they earned from the Germans in WWll.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:42:09 AM »
Holy Moly Powder Burn, you were in the same places as my Uncle, at the same times. My Uncle was also at Ft. Bragg off and on. Wouldn't it be something if you guys knew each other?!?!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »
Holy Moly Powder Burn, you were in the same places as my Uncle, at the same times. My Uncle was also at Ft. Bragg off and on. Wouldn't it be something if you guys knew each other?!?!
Yes it would be. As a side note,I was also a skydiver and often jumped with the Golden Knights. In fact,I had tried out for the Golden Knights and made the team but before I could stay on the team,I was sent back to Vietnam. I also visited the skydiving bar hangout on post where a lot of Special Forces hung out too. We might have shared a few beers together. I believe the bar was called the 82nd Sport Parachute Club bar. It's been way to long.
Airborne!

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 06:14:27 PM »
I had the dubious distinction of being the first man in the four year history of the 4th Military Intelligence Co. (4th Inf Div) in Viet Nam to be wounded.  That was while I was on loan with one of my interrogation teams to a battalion of the 173d located at LZ Uplift in northeastern II Corps in Sept. 1970.  My replacement got hit the next day while choppering in to replace me.  We quit going to support your guys after that.  GF

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 03:01:28 AM »
I had the dubious distinction of being the first man in the four year history of the 4th Military Intelligence Co. (4th Inf Div) in Viet Nam to be wounded.  That was while I was on loan with one of my interrogation teams to a battalion of the 173d located at LZ Uplift in northeastern II Corps in Sept. 1970.  My replacement got hit the next day while choppering in to replace me.  We quit going to support your guys after that.  GF
Sorry for your wounds GF. I know it wasn't funny then but you sure added a little humor in your post. Yep, I guess you found out that the "Herd" used to get into some pretty good doozies over there. To enlighten you a bit ,my first wound was cause by our own friendly fire when the VC broke through our perimeter out in the jungle. Our CO called in a volley of HE but the rounds landed short and I caught some of the shapmetal. The second time,I was wounded, I was on point and fell into a pungi stake hole. I was very fortunate in that one just got me in the leg and not somewhere else.Oh God,the thought of that.
Welcome home brother!