Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: SCHUETZEN Vs Pyrodex  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
SCHUETZEN Vs Pyrodex
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »
I found a local dealer that sells Schuetzen BP. I bought some 3f and went shooting today. Temperature was 65 and sunny. No wind. I shot 48 rounds today and didn’t notice any difference in accuracy. I did notice less felt recoil. The barrel was slightly cleaner with the BP than the pyrodex. The load was 24 grains of Schuetzen with a soy wax pill over the powder and a 375 round ball on top. The cleaning was about the same bp vs pyrodex. This is a picture of the barrel after shooting the Schuetzen bp.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: SCHUETZEN Vs Pyrodex
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:55:43 PM »
It looks like you have found a great black powder lube in that soy wax. I have a pound of loose Pyrodex RS that is still unopened after ~35 years. I also have a pound of 777 that is unopened. Those are strictly for emergency use!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
Pyrodex is a little hotter. It's closer to Swiss in strength.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
That barrel is as clean as a whistle. I've never used Schuetzen, I use mostly Goex and Old Eynsford. But I think I really need to get some of that soy wax.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:01:49 PM »
I have used Goex, DuPont, Meteor and Elephant powders. I always wanted to try some Wano (Schuetzen) and OE but had no need for more powder. I still have a good supply.