Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta brass frame  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
Pietta brass frame
« on: March 30, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
Not sure if this is the proper place for this thread. Feel free to move it if you need to.

A gent I shoot with on occasion has a Pietta 1851 Navy brass frame revolver he bought several years ago but never fired. From what I read on this forum it's not really historically correct because it's a .44 caliber and has no roll engraving on the cylinder. Also it's been said that Colt never made a brass frame revolver, only confedrates and those were supposedly 36 caliber. Anyway, he offered it to me unfired for $85.00 with box and papers. Is this a good deal? I've read lots of posts saying to stay away from brass guns and others saying they are ok if you use reduced charges. What do you gents say?
Bob

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
Re: Pietta brass frame
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 12:32:36 PM »
I would buy it for $85. I would also use a reduce charge of powder. The fun is in the shooting, not in the recoil.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:40:19 PM »
Unfired at $85.00? Run, Forrest! That gun will shoot all day long with max charges of 25gr 3f max, and will probably last you a lifetime. Don't exceed the 25gr limit. You'll probably find it shoots best around 20gr, you'll burn less powder, and recoil will be minuscule.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
I wouldn't go as high as 25. I almost ruined a .36 Remington with 25 grain charges. Personally I wont go over 15 grains in a brass frame.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 02:33:48 PM »
For $85....   buy it.    Shoot 20 grains in it till you get tired of it and sell it for $125.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 02:47:33 PM »
I usually load 24g. I have tried 20g and didn’t notice much difference. Remember that the fun is shooting! If the fun was recoil then I would shoot my 44mag.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »
Photos would be nice: datecode, manufacturer mark location, et al. Anything with a datecode earlier than BS/2002 would be a pre-CNC machined revolver, and as such newer CNC parts do not drop-in fit if needed. They need to be fitted, and sometimes that is a chore, especially the bolt.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »
Thanks, gents!
I'm still trying to get the hang of the photo thingamabob. Based on your responses, I'll probably buy it and plan on shooting 20gr or less. I've done the same with my '60 Army and found it to be very accurate with a 20gr charge. Sourdough, I will try to get the date code from my friend and maybe a photo or two as well. Thank you, gent for the responses. I hate missing out on a deal and didn't want to lose this one.
Bob

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
Sorry, Bob...I need to clarify; Hawg is correct. When I mentioned 25gr I meant that as a MAX load, not one to be used on a regular basis! Hawg is correct that consistent hammering with max loads will hammer and stretch the frame, loosen the arbor through thread stretch, and imprint the recoil shield. Hawg has posted some pretty detailed pix in the past showing what CAN happen...but it need not if you stay within the safe limits. Hope this clarifies.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 07:04:58 AM »
Hi Bob, jump on that deal. Most often the brass framed revolver has a slicker action than steel framed revolvers. The coefficient of friction is lower between brass on steel compared to steel on steel.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »
Just to rehash what has been said already.  Great deal, keep your loads around 20 gr, who cares if it's not historically correct, enjoy the heck out of it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »
Yep. What Fingers said.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln