Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: North American Arms Super Companion  (Read 1811 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
North American Arms Super Companion
« on: March 31, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
NAA Super Companion .22 5-shot BP C&B stainless steel revolver, which is based upon the NAA .22 Mag frame, longer Mag cylinder, and 1-5/8" barrel.

(There is also a Companion .22 5-shot BP C&B stainless steel revolver, which is based upon the NAA .22 Long Rifle frame, LR length cylinder, and 1" barrel.)

A couple of weeks ago I saw a listing on GB from a gun shop in Alabama who had 10 of these "kits" for sale @$360 each. I was thoroughly surprised that within less than 36 hours, 9 were sold and I scrambled to buy the last one. I had been looking for one for quite a few months, and Bud's Gun Shop lists every NAA revolver as out of stock. Anyone know what is going on with NAA?

From the seller's listing:

300-30 gr lead bullets; powder charge measure; bullet seater; 5 nipples (installed in cylinder); allen wrench for nipples; locking case (2 keys) with NAA logo; leather bullet pouch; replica Civil War era flap holster and extra cylinder w/nipples installed. 
MANUFACTURER: North American Arms
FAMILY: Mini-Revolver Series
MODEL: Mini-Revolver Cap & Ball Kit
TYPE: Revolver
ACTION: Single Action
CALIBER/GAUGE: 22 REV
FINISH: Stainless
FRAME: Steel Frame
STOCK/GRIPS: Wood
BARREL: 1 5/8"
CAPACITY: 5
SIGHTS: Fixed
SHIPPING WEIGHT: 2.645 lbs.
SAFETY FEATURES: Safety Cylinder/Half Notch
ADDL INFO: DOES NOT SHOOT 22WMR
ADDL INFO: CAP & BALL ONLY
MFG MODEL NO: NAA-22M-CBK
UPC: 744253000867

I received it yesterday afternoon just as NAA had packaged it, and am pleased. The holster is nothing to write home about (it was designed for the shorter revolver and does not work with the longer revolver) but everything else is just grand. My digital camera is old and on its last legs so no photos from me yet.

I knew it was small but it is really diminutive. I am already in the market for some oversized grips for it, and I have picked out a guy who specializes in these things. One of the grips I am opting for:

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: North American Arms Super Companion
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
I have no experience with the NAA BP guns. But, I have owned every one of the .22 Short, .22 Long Rifle, and .22 WMR versions. They are all indeed very small. The .22 Mag version would regularly slice my thumb open upon firing, if I did not keep it tucked down out of the way. If I left my thumb up too high, the rear edge of the cylinder would slice me right open. It was also horribly inaccurate at anything past card table distance.

The .22 Short was my favorite. I once smuggled it onto an airplane in a cigarette pack. (this was WAY pre 9-11) It was very easy to carry in my front pants pocket. My keys actually took up more space.

Wish I still had them all. Lost them in the divorce from my 1st wife.

I'll be anxious to hear how you like shooting it Jim.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »
Yes, those grips ARE small! I made a set of boot grips for mine. Years ago, I had a 22 LR model and that thing was hard to hold on to. I wish I hadn't sold it to a friend. :'(

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 06:38:45 PM »
I got mine used-like New at a good price. I ordered an extra cylinder for it also. NAA "used to advertise" that the gun was safe to use with a charge of 2grains of Unique, but got pressure from BATFE so discontinued that info to keep it as a black powder revolver. So, you never heard it from me! L@J

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip about Unique. Back in the day I found it a very versatile powder.

BTW, what's your name?  ;)

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo