Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Range safety  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Len

• View Profile
Range safety
« on: April 02, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »
Cannot find any safety thread on here (there's one on the Remi Forum) so I'll start this ....
When I shoot on my back yard range, I want to have total grip/hold/control of my surroundings...
This also includes sound/hearing control. I found lifting and replacing the hearing protection thingie did affect the pleasure of shooting. I therefore invested in a pair of Mickey Mouse styled protection, that cuts out the bang but, gives perfect all around hearing in between shots. This takes the shooting sessions to a new level.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:28:00 AM by Len »

Offline Len

• View Profile
Re: Range safety
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:31:31 AM »
Also have a closed cicuit video camera with a wireless display screen, that will tell if someone is sneaking up the drive.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:16:05 AM »
You're right Len, we need a safety forum. I think I'll get one together.

I have often wondered if that type of hearing protection was worth the money. I use a pair of custom made silicone type that go into the whole ear. I love them, but you're right, it's hard to hear between shots.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:25:08 AM »
I have a pair of Gun Mufflers that are over 30 years old. I have to take them off to hear anything. I'm hard of hearing anyway tho.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
For shooting SASS matches, I use custom fitted ear plugs. For any other shooting (like Steel Challenge competition) I use Remington R2000c electronic ear muffs with adjustable volume.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:49:40 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
I wear a set of standard ear muffs. I take them off between shooting sessions. I uncover my left ear if there is a pause in the shooting. I need to hear two things. There are a lot of quads in the desert where I shoot, and I want to be able to hear a rattlesnake if one is close.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
Len, this is a great idea to have a range safety thread. I normally use a set of muffs with 30db reduction. I bought a set of electronic muffs a few years ago but have never used them. Hmmm, I wonder where they are.....

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 07:20:58 PM »
I wear a set of standard ear muffs. I take them off between shooting sessions. I uncover my left ear if there is a pause in the shooting. I need to hear two things. There are a lot of quads in the desert where I shoot, and I want to be able to hear a rattlesnake if one is close.

Experience has taught me I have to practically be right on top of a rattlesnake to hear it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
So far so good. I’ve been shooting in the desert over 10 years and I have not seen any snakes. Lots of lizards and coyotes.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 03:43:56 AM »
Good point Len,

I have a set of Walker's Razor, they also block the sharp bang but allow you to still hear almost normal.
I thought these might be nice to wear on the deer stand, but you can't tell which direction the sounds comes from.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 06:56:11 AM »
Hi I have a couple of these ear muffs that I use at my range, they work well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 06:04:36 PM »
Great thread, Len! Yeah, Dave and I will get together and put up an official spot for this. After all, safety is priority #1 when shooting on the range. I appreciate you bringing this up. There are plenty of tips and tricks some of us old-timers can certainly pass along to the newer generations of BP shooters!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 09:56:04 AM »
Great thread, Len! Yeah, Dave and I will get together and put up an official spot for this. After all, safety is priority #1 when shooting on the range. I appreciate you bringing this up. There are plenty of tips and tricks some of us old-timers can certainly pass along to the newer generations of BP shooters!

All done Boss. Now we have a forum just for safety concerns.

Post away.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
Hi Dave, good idea setting up a safety subject. When all is said and done, there are simply three safety rules that will prevent injury:

NRA's Three Safety Rules

Gun Safety Rule #1: ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    Gun Safety Rule #2: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    Gun Safety Rule #3: ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Forget any gun safety device, mechanical devices are prone to failure. Well, thinking about it some more, there are no safeties on must BP firearms. The old-timers were way ahead of my advice. lol

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 11:30:17 AM »
Some good thinking in this safety video.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/YzlnAJEsq8M/