Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What the hell?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
What the hell?
« on: April 13, 2021, 10:05:05 AM »
Went to order some .530 round balls today for my rock lock. Nothing doing. Not only are Midway, Buffalo Arms, Mid South, TOW and Graf's are out of stock, but also most of the other sized RB's as well. TOW does have hand-cast RB in .530, but I put the swaged Hornady RB's on back order at Midway and will see how quickly they become available. Why would round balls of all sizes be unavailable? I can't imagine a hoarding run on swaged roundballs. Makes no sense. Wondering if there is an issue with lead?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:38:08 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »
It's gotta be lead supply issues. I bet every ounce of lead is going to the ammo manufacturers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:43:14 PM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
It seems that EVERYTHING reloading-related is out of stock.

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »
In case some of you don't know or have forgotten, because of EPA pressure there is not one lead smelter left in the U.S.  It all has to be imported.  For those of us who cast for smokeless loads and used to cadge or buy used wheel weights, amost all are now made of zinc or steel because of the same EPA restrictions on handling lead on the job.  It's not going to get very much better in the future.  Like everything else these days if you can find scrap lead it is often expensive unless you know some guy at a recycler who handles scrap plumbing or X-ray shielding lead from medical office rennovations.  GF