Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ejector half moon snapped off AND solution  (Read 1600 times)

Offline petermhansen

• Forum Newbie, lifelong shooter
    • View Profile
Ejector half moon snapped off AND solution
« on: May 28, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
I just bought a pair of Uberti 1873 SA used, from a gun smith who was selling them on consignment for a client who was retiring from Cowboy action shooting. I had them at the range today and near the end of my session I inadvertently released the ejector instead of riding it forward and the spring snapped it forward. It reached the end of its travel and the impact of half moon rod  against the housing made it snap right off. This kind of surprised me as the spring didn't seem exceptionally strong, as its only function is to return the ejector to its resting position.

I called the gunsmith who said that this was not an unheard off vulnerability that was noted even in the originals. The force of thin metal on metal impacting could cause it to crack, plus there's no way of knowing how many times it was done by the original owner so it may have been close to going any way. Thankfully a new one is only $28 on VTI, though shipping from the US to Canada is more than the part cost  :o.

I really wanted to avoid this happening again, and asked the smith if it would be worth shortening the spring to reduce its force. He pointed out that a weaker spring may cause it to rattle around when firing, particularly with .357 magnum rounds. I disassembled it to remove the broken part when I got home and think I may have found a simple solution. I basically took a mechanical pencil eraser refill, cut it down to a couple mm length, and slipped it in the housing tube before the extractor. I might trim it a wee bit shorter and colour it black with a Sharpie, but it it will act as a soft bumper if the extractor is released under full spring tension. One pic is the bumper installed on the broken ejector. Its easier to see with the half moon not in the way.

This seems like it should be a standard feature on these pistols.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:24:47 PM by petermhansen »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Ejector half moon snapped off AND solution
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »
Ingenious! Thanks for sharing that fix with us!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 01:04:01 AM »
Somebody always comes up with new ideas for these guns. Makes you wonder how many can be left. (l"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:07:22 AM »
What an excellent idea. Bravo!
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 12:35:37 PM »
Excellent idea!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »
Agreed, great idea. I (almost) always control the ejector but I can see an accidental slippage contributing to the damage you described.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »
I had a .22 single action on the seat next to me. It bounced off the seat going down a washboard gravel road and hit the shifter just right to break it off. I made a whole new ejector rod out of a wire hanger. That was around 1979 or 1980. My first wife still has it and it's still doing it's job. It doesn't look factory but it works.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 02:44:25 PM »
Necessity IS the mother of invention
BIGTED